sad and embarrased

KristaAZ

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi! My name is Krista and I am in Arizona. About 4 years ago I adopted a Az Desert Tortoise. The women who gave her to me had a rescue. She told me the tortoise (who we named Mort (the tort)) had a recurrent respiratory infection, but currently had no symptoms. He lived in our backyard and we LOVED HIM! Two years later the respiratory infection came back so I took him to the vet. We got meds and found out he was a SHE, so she became Morticia. She was/is so friendly and came to the backdoor for food daily. Twice daily before hibernating. This winter her respiratory infection symptoms were active so she was in my bathroom in a enclosure all winter. About a month ago I realized she hadn't come to the backdoor in a few days. I got worried and kept looking in the backyard. We couldn't find her. I knocked on the neighbors doors looking for her. A neighbor a few doors down told me a tortoise had shown up at her door about 5 days before. She picked it up and it peed and kept it's head in it's shell so she figured it was wild. She put it in the desert next to the golf course down the street!!!!!! I have walked through there, looked under trees and bushes, called her name many times. There is no way I will find her. She could be anywhere. I put a sign on the mailbox, have posted in the community pages. I am so sad, mad, and angry! I am mad at myself and my husband that she got out, I am so mad at that lady that she just put her in greenbelt. I have lived in AZ my entire life and have never seen a tortoise in the wild. I just don't understand why she wouldn't knock on some doors, post, or ask around. Her son even owned a Sulcata for a long time! Anyway, it's my fault, I can't be mad at her. So that's my sad story. I still go out and look for her with the hope I will find her.

This all brings me to me currently reading and researching species of tortoises (I have been reading and stalking here for a few weeks). Prior to losing her I had been looking at getting a baby or two. Originally I had thought about a cherryhead, but now I am thinking maybe a Hermanns or a Leopard (I would not mix species if I got more then one). I don't want to feel like I am getting one to replace her. I can't replace her. I am such a animal lover and would have a small farm if I had the space and my husband would let me hahahha. If you are still reading and made it this far, thank you lol. I am going to be posting a lot and asking a lot of questions! Thank you for having me! <3

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow. . . that's a hard one to endure. So sad you lost Mort. Put up an ad on craigslist lost and found, and I'd even place an ad in the local newspaper for lost tortoise. I'm betting someone has picked the tortoise up and is keeping it. Fingers crossed that you find her.

And, if you do. . . be sure to have separate yards for each species of tortoise. Never mix species!

KristaAZ

Arizona
Wow. . . that's a hard one to endure. So sad you lost Mort. Put up an ad on craigslist lost and found, and I'd even place an ad in the local newspaper for lost tortoise. I'm betting someone has picked the tortoise up and is keeping it. Fingers crossed that you find her.

And, if you do. . . be sure to have separate yards for each species of tortoise. Never mix species!

Thank you so much I appreciate it. I will look into more ways to post to find her.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Awwww, just but wrenching!!!! Made me relive the 4 weeks in February (central TX, co cold but not too cold) when my then 8 months old baby cherryhead went missing outside... we did get him back! And So it goes for many other missing Tort Parents. Just don't give up your hope.

KristaAZ

Arizona
Awwww, just but wrenching!!!! Made me relive the 4 weeks in February (central TX, co cold but not too cold) when my then 8 months old baby cherryhead went missing outside... we did get him back! And So it goes for many other missing Tort Parents. Just don't give up your hope.

Thank you so much. I appreciate it. I am so glad you found yours!! <3

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
go to the area it was released in the early morning hours; right after sunrise; when it will moves out of the shadows to warm up. Ask at the golf course; and see if the ground keepers can keep an eye out. A good place to place a poster; in case golfers spot it. Check any water sources on course as well. Enlist the help of the kids in the area as well; offering a reward. Take some of the substrate with you as well as some of its favorite food (the smellier the better) and put it as close to release area as possible. Good luck; don't give up!

KristaAZ

Arizona
go to the area it was released in the early morning hours; right after sunrise; when it will moves out of the shadows to warm up. Ask at the golf course; and see if the ground keepers can keep an eye out. A good place to place a poster; in case golfers spot it. Check any water sources on course as well. Enlist the help of the kids in the area as well; offering a reward. Take some of the substrate with you as well as some of its favorite food (the smellier the better) and put it as close to release area as possible. Good luck; don't give up!

Thank you so much!! I will do those things. I was thinking if I could get a lot of people looking it would be so helpful!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I used to live that way!! I grew up on 67th ave and Camelback, then during high school moved to 67th ave and Union Hills! Small world! What species of tortoises do you have?
A very long list ! I've been collecting for almost 18 years !

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I lost my tortoise on a 60acre vineyard. Twice. :rolleyes:
The more eyes looking the better! So, get to know the golf course people.
The second time I lost Levi, it was a neighbor who found him. I was glad he knew the tortoise was missing.

KristaAZ

Arizona
I lost my tortoise on a 60acre vineyard. Twice. :rolleyes:
The more eyes looking the better! So, get to know the golf course people.
The second time I lost Levi, it was a neighbor who found him. I was glad he knew the tortoise was missing.

Heather thank you so much!! I really appreciate you posting. That gives me some hope thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. If the release sight isn't too far from your home, I would also leave a gate open to the area she lived in. She might try getting back home on her own. Leaving the path open to the door she came to every morning for food.
As for the other torts you are considering. I have mainly leopards. Love them and the males become much more friendly and outgoing then the females in my experience with my group.
Good luck and keep us posted. Take it easy on yourself too. Many of us have lost a tort once or twice. Good news is more seem to be found then not.

BevSmith

That's a wonderful idea!! I'm voting signs at the club house at the golf course, too!!

KristaAZ

Arizona
Hello and Welcome. If the release sight isn't too far from your home, I would also leave a gate open to the area she lived in. She might try getting back home on her own. Leaving the path open to the door she came to every morning for food.
As for the other torts you are considering. I have mainly leopards. Love them and the males become much more friendly and outgoing then the females in my experience with my group.
Good luck and keep us posted. Take it easy on yourself too. Many of us have lost a tort once or twice. Good news is more seem to be found then not.

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful advice!! I keep wondering if she would wander home. It just depends on if she moves through the desert area, or goes toward the houses. I am out there wandering around wondering where I would go if I were her!! hhahhah. I also call her name like she is just going to come out to me lol. Then I get sad thinking about how many times I may have walked by her and not seen her =( She always came to the door for food mid morning to afternoon. That is why I wonder if she would be wandering after sunrise?

Gypsy

Albany, Louisiana
Hi! My name is Krista and I am in Arizona. About 4 years ago I adopted a Az Desert Tortoise. The women who gave her to me had a rescue. She told me the tortoise (who we named Mort (the tort)) had a recurrent respiratory infection, but currently had no symptoms. He lived in our backyard and we LOVED HIM! Two years later the respiratory infection came back so I took him to the vet. We got meds and found out he was a SHE, so she became Morticia. She was/is so friendly and came to the backdoor for food daily. Twice daily before hibernating. This winter her respiratory infection symptoms were active so she was in my bathroom in a enclosure all winter. About a month ago I realized she hadn't come to the backdoor in a few days. I got worried and kept looking in the backyard. We couldn't find her. I knocked on the neighbors doors looking for her. A neighbor a few doors down told me a tortoise had shown up at her door about 5 days before. She picked it up and it peed and kept it's head in it's shell so she figured it was wild. She put it in the desert next to the golf course down the street!!!!!! I have walked through there, looked under trees and bushes, called her name many times. There is no way I will find her. She could be anywhere. I put a sign on the mailbox, have posted in the community pages. I am so sad, mad, and angry! I am mad at myself and my husband that she got out, I am so mad at that lady that she just put her in greenbelt. I have lived in AZ my entire life and have never seen a tortoise in the wild. I just don't understand why she wouldn't knock on some doors, post, or ask around. Her son even owned a Sulcata for a long time! Anyway, it's my fault, I can't be mad at her. So that's my sad story. I still go out and look for her with the hope I will find her.

This all brings me to me currently reading and researching species of tortoises (I have been reading and stalking here for a few weeks). Prior to losing her I had been looking at getting a baby or two. Originally I had thought about a cherryhead, but now I am thinking maybe a Hermanns or a Leopard (I would not mix species if I got more then one). I don't want to feel like I am getting one to replace her. I can't replace her. I am such a animal lover and would have a small farm if I had the space and my husband would let me hahahha. If you are still reading and made it this far, thank you lol. I am going to be posting a lot and asking a lot of questions! Thank you for having me! <3
Awww Krista I'm so sorry I know that frantic sick feeling it happened to me also. Neighbors helped me look for hours into the night and nothing. So a last ditch effort I called the sheriff's dept and sure enough somebody found my sulcata and brought him in.
Have you tried calling Wild Life & Fisheries? Just a thought. I do hope you find her.