Sad sad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riperoo

5 Year Member
well, my poor sully whom I have only had about 3 weeks and who seemed to be thriving passed away yesterday. I can not believe it. He was doing so well (or so I thought) he was getting daily outside time which he loved, he would cover my whole back yard exploring, really enjoying himself. My son and wife would put him out every day when they got home and he would hang out there for hours, yesterday my wife calls and says when she brought him in he had bubble coming out of his mouth, quick search on here and I find that this is not good, call the vet, get an appointment, take off out of work to get home, an hour later I walk in the door and go to my new turtle table and pick him up and he is gone!!! I am still in shock. I have no idea what happened, this guy was doing so good. I was really happy with the way he was coming around, he was eating good, getting good soaks, he had a nice outdoor home and good indoor home. I wish I was living as large as him. Can't believe he is gone so quick. I am thinking maybe I missed some signs of a respritory infection?!?!?!?, man i am really bummed. Save the poor guy only to have him pass on my watch.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
Brian I am so sorry to hear this! :(
About how old was your sulcata? Had you noticed bubbles around his nose or mouth before?

Riperoo

5 Year Member
Josh said:
Brian I am so sorry to hear this! :(
About how old was your sulcata? Had you noticed bubbles around his nose or mouth before?
Thanks, Josh, i appreciate that and no, this was the first and only time. My wife seems to think that his breathing was labored at times prior to this, I really didn't think so, I thought it was more from exertion when he was out for a while. His eyes were bright, nose was clear, I am really kicking my self for not taking him to my Vet as soon as I got him, but I really thought he was in good shape and just needed a good home with some good care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry about your little tortoise's passing, Brian. Bubbles out the nose or mouth can be caused by more than a respiratory infection. Poison, heat exhaustion to name just a couple.

Darn it anyway. That's just awful!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That's very sad news Brian. Your intentions were so good, and you did your very best for him. I am so sorry.

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
Sorry to here this Brian, at least he enjoyed his last few weeks in your care.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Very sorry to hear about your loss Brian :(

From what you have described, there is nothing you could have done to save him as he was technically dead when you got him. It sounds like his kidneys shut down. When a tortoise's kidneys shut down it takes about 3 months for a tortoise that size to finally build up enough toxins in his blood to finally kill him. So this had happened to him long before you got him.

Danny

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry for your loss. So sad. I think most of us have been there.

Riperoo

5 Year Member
Hey thanks all, I really appreciate it. I think the thing kicking me the most, other than the poor guy passing, is that the whole family was into this, they were really digging it. he got a home in the main part of the house, that is a rarity for my wife. Had a really nice outside set up going for him as well. The kids were really getting a kick out of him. We hadn't even named him yet as the kids had a list of about 12 names and were doing a contest on facebook to name him. I have litterally been spending evry spare moment and dollar on getting this guy as comfortable as possible, building his habitats, cruising the local exotic pet shops and this forum trying to learn as much as possible, even gave up fertilizing the back yard this year, just for the Tort!!! Well, I guess I will be looking for a replacment in the near future, may not be a sully, I was worried about what I was going to do with him when he got bigger, but def another Tort or two. Have to keep my eye out for another stray. Thanks for all the support everyone, it really means a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.