Sad super sad story

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
When i got off work today, I picked my mom's two dogs up at the vet to watch for the weekend. They needed baths before they could come over bc last time they stunk.

Anyway... Then I dropped off something at my dad's and headed home.

On my way home, I was driving along and saw sporadically stopped cars. Some had their hazards on. I couldn't figure out what happened. No crash. No cops. Nothing seemed off. Well the tragic started up again. Then I saw a black tail jogging down the middle of the middle lane. She wasn't running, just a casual jog.

I thought it pretty so I called my dad. He tells me not to stop bc I could case an accident. Well, I already decided to pull over bc I could see a collar and harness on her. I got just ahead of the dog and couldn't help myself. I got off the phone with him, opened my car door and realized at least two more people behind me stopped.

We were calling her and trying to get her attention. She stopped and started jogging casually toward the cement wall. She got to the wall not 10-15 feet in front of me as before I could do anything, she jumped up and peaked over then jumped.

We were on a bridge.

I went back to my driver door. The man behind me looked at me. I couldn't say anything. He knew he saw the dog run in front of my car and no dog came out around it or back into the road. He walked to the walk and peaked down and I hear "oh God" and the lady ask "did u get her" I couldn't do anything but get in my car and pull back on the highway.

My right foot was shaking bad. I called my bf hyperventilating. He asked if everything was ok and all I could get out was no before I broke. I feel like I didn't do enough, but I pulled over. I risked me getting hurt and my mom's dogs from jumping out after the dog bc by the time I stopped they saw her in the road. It was a split second she jumped on the wall, peaked over and jumped.

I can't sleep now. Every time I closely eyes I see her jump or her and her purple collar. She was someone's dog. She didn't look mistreated or skinny. Just a dog that got out of the yard.

All the people on the road stopping traffic so not to hit her and she basically committed suicide. I can only hope it was quick and she didn't lay there suffering. I couldn't look. I could barely drive home.

What a Valentine's Day and what a start for the weekend...

I can't stop but think ok what if I waited to drop by my dad's until Sunday when I take the dogs home. Or what if I stayed there a few minutes longer. I would have been before after it and not seen anything.

She wasn't dodging traffic. She had it stopped. Everyone was thinking about her. Being patient and driving to below the speed she was moving.

It's raining now. I hope to God she isn't still there alive. I hope she died on impact or someone saw her lying there and took her to emergency vet or put her down right there.

That was someone's dog... :'-(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
maybe she survived.. it sounds like she went over to easily.. like she did it before??
you can post her description on Craigslist.. location.. maybe the owner will find her..
at least you tried..

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What was under the bridge? Water or solid ground? How high up was the bridge?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I've never seen any of my dogs just jump. Dogs jump when they know they'll make it. I say you should go back and look. Set yourself at rest.