safe edible plants in indoor enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karenStacy

Hi I got a 6 month old sulcata. Already eating grass without complaint. What other plants can I get to put in enclosure?
And are plants from home depot ect contaminated?
Thanks for the help :)
(P's I already ordered a ton of seeds but I want to buy a bigger plant to put in their for now)

JHamer

There's an extensive list at http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/ and yes, home depot's plants are going to be chemically fertilized unless they state for human/pet consumption or organic.

Some easier plants to grow that are tortoise safe are spinless opuntias, spider plants, and plantain plants.

karenStacy

Thank you so much! I will have my eyes open for an organic spider plant!:D
My baby will love it and I will be adding more coverage in her enclosure!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I know people on this forum have some strong feelings about Petco sometimes, but I have gotten plants there that are chemical free and grow well indoors. They are usually tropical types that take a little bit more humidity however. You can also ask friends for cuttings, that's how I got the starting of my spider plant and it just keeps growing and I separated often to make new plants.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
If you have Hostas outside in your landscaping, they make wonderful enclosure plants. As long as you do not treat them with anything it would be safe to dig up a few & bring them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.