Safe fertilizer/food for feeder plants?

aechols83

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cuz, California, USA
Hi All,

I’m a complete novice when it comes to plants and gardening. I am trying to grow some hibiscus in large pots as feeder plants for my soon to be arriving Hermann’s tortoises. I am waiting about 6 months (longer?) before feeding to try to flush out any systemic chemicals that the plants may have come with from the nursery. I repotted them in natural/organic potting soil and for the last couple months I have been giving them only water and sunshine. I believe they may eventually need some kind of nutrient/food/fertilizer boost and I do want them to be flowering so I can feed the blooms. I am wondering what, if anything, people here use for their tortoise feeder plants. I was thinking that fish fertilizer and bone meal are natural and so would be safe. Here is one other product I was looking at on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BYG6P0I/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Many thanks for any help and recommendations!

Best,
Adam

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
It's funny , but I fertilize my hibiscus with tortoise poop.

I also use miracle grow sometimes. There are some who think chemical fertilizers deposite too much nitrogen in the leaves. Not worried about that myself , as my torts eat weeds & grass outta my lawn w/o any fertilizers needed.