Safe or not? :/

Dan Tennick

Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone can help me at all? Attached are a few pics of some leaves that are in my garden.

I dont have a clue what they are or anything... Just wondering if any of you know if they will be safe to feed my Horsfield Tortoise? :) Sorry if it seem's obvious to some of you, i'm no good with flowers and weeds.

Thanks all!

Dan

IMG_0240.JPG IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG IMG_0237.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 18

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
I'll send the photos to garden compass, answer will come in less than 24 hrs (hopefully) :) you can download garden compass for use on an iPad/iPhone and send photos for plant id!

Dan Tennick

I'll send the photos to garden compass, answer will come in less than 24 hrs (hopefully) :) you can download garden compass for use on an iPad/iPhone and send photos for plant id!

Haha, i've only just downloaded it! Lol :) i never heard of it until 5 mins ago! Lol i'm even stuck on what this is?! I think its a dandelion... I dont know.. No good at plants! Lol :( ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406226916.167996.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's hard for me to I.D. them if I can't see the whole plant. I'm thinking you have sow thistle, prickly lettuce, ??, dock and another either sow thistle or prickly lettuce. The grass pictures I don't know. The only thing of them I wouldn't feed is the dock. You can take a look at this thread and see if any of the pictures look familiar to you:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...h-edible-and-toxic-for-tortoises.14564/page-2

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
It's hard for me to I.D. them if I can't see the whole plant. I'm thinking you have sow thistle, prickly lettuce, ??, dock and another either sow thistle or prickly lettuce. The grass pictures I don't know. The only thing of them I wouldn't feed is the dock. You can take a look at this thread and see if any of the pictures look familiar to you:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...h-edible-and-toxic-for-tortoises.14564/page-2

474158gy04azrh2x.gif
One of them reminds me of burdock:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406254921.018614.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406254930.286050.jpg

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thinking first are some type of dandelion, especially that yellow flower. They are okay, but not too much.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406304063.863312.jpg
Weed/wild flower
There is a fine line between a native wildflower/plant or an offspring of a cultivated plant and a weed. If it appeared suddenly amidst your cultivated plants, the chances are good that it is a weed/wildflower. There are many different weeds/wildflowers, but if it is not competing with your established plants, then leave it be if you like it. And if it is competing, then pull it out before it gets established, especially if the seed heads are allowed to mature and disperse. If you did not plant it, chances are good that it has been planted by the wind or a bird and will soon compete with your cultivated plants. Suggest you show your photo and some of the clippings to a local garden centre/botanical garden to see if they can identify further for you. If you do find out, please let us know as this is how we learn as well.
----------
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406304126.083692.jpg
Tickseed
This is likely a species of Coreopsis, of which there are many. They are all sun loving perennials that are quite drought tolerant once established.
----------
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406304205.273450.jpg
Unfortunately we cannot identify your plant for you at this stage. Please take another photo when the plant forms some distinctive characteristics such as flowers, fruits, berries, seed heads etc. as well as any other information you might have about it, take another photo and we will try our best to help you identify. Or you might show your photo and a cutting to a horticulturist at your local garden center or public garden to see if they can identify it in hand. If however, it is competing with your cultivated plants for nutrients and water, then it would be best to take out and dispose in the trash.