Safe outdoor weeds? Please help. Appreciate responses! (Russian)

Inspire2be

Location (City and/or State)
New York
I have a new Russian & I live in upstate NY. Can anyone glimpse these 6 (labeled with numbers..click each pic for clear photo) pictures & tell me if these are safe for Oogway to eat or not. I’m sure it’s been asked a ton but I just want to make sure lil dude eats right & appreciate any responses! I have a plant app but sometimes it gives wrong info 🙄😬 🙏💚🐢 Also have been reading tons so my brain is honestly overloaded & figured you all wouldn’t mind helping😖 We’re also working on his own 10 by 10 foot outdoor enclosure..should be done in about a month after everything is said & done 🤞🏻.

Attachments

• 49734B47-8AAF-47C3-AEFC-DE00F3CEFC05.jpeg
    49734B47-8AAF-47C3-AEFC-DE00F3CEFC05.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 42FC64CC-600C-4E80-B92A-D709EC5898CC.jpeg
    42FC64CC-600C-4E80-B92A-D709EC5898CC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 70C9976C-4687-470D-84D7-01FF0BBEEBD3.jpeg
    70C9976C-4687-470D-84D7-01FF0BBEEBD3.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • A3F7A71B-9DA7-4BF2-AFF1-F97676804DB5.jpeg
    A3F7A71B-9DA7-4BF2-AFF1-F97676804DB5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 6416E8FD-05FE-444A-B3C7-3C7BA32C3DE5.jpeg
    6416E8FD-05FE-444A-B3C7-3C7BA32C3DE5.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • CC2981E4-B629-4D81-B106-96CE3FA17C54.jpeg
    CC2981E4-B629-4D81-B106-96CE3FA17C54.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
#2 is plantain: safe

#1 I'm pretty sure is baby plantain, wait a week and you'll know for sure!

#3 could be a melon/cucumber; a tomato; a buttercup?! I need a photo where the plant isn't wet and hopefully the flowers more clear to say. I doubt it's a tomato but as tomatoes aren't something you'd want to intentionally feed, hang off until you get a better photo
#4 is violet, safe

#5 is dock; opinions vary, I wouldn't feed it and my Russian doesn't care for it anyway.

#6 is something in the brassica family (sheperd's purse, arugula, mustard, broccoli, kale, collards and a billion other things). All are safe in moderation.

You are going to read and get a ton of opinions on plants, even among experienced owners/breeders here. Some people are relaxed (like me); others are super cautious. The best advice I can give here is pay attention to how long someone has been a member or owner (these aren't always the same), the most experienced owners tend to be in a better place to give advice. If you can figure out who is a breeder even better.

I personally am not a fan of the Tortoise Table, which you will see quoted here often, I think the science they use is iffy. But they are definitely very cautious, which can be comforting to a new owner.

Russians can eat tons of different things and will do so happily if they have plenty of space and sun. Mine is an excellent eater but even the pickier of Russians are open minded once they get used to a new space.

Your tortoise can go much longer without eating than we can and may not be comfortable getting out much at the beginning anyway so focus on housing setup first.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think 1 is horse weed. Toxic.
2 is not plantain, but I don't know what it is.
3 I don't know.
4. don't know
5. Dock. Do not feed.
6. There is too much going on in that picture. I see several plants, and I don't know any of them.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m with Tom on No 2 for sure is definitely not the wild type of plantain that grows in lawns here in the NE, probably all over. And No 5 is definitely dock.

As far as plantain, it’s pretty easy really to ID, grows pretty large flat leaves that eventually put up thin sprouts with a seed pod.

I just walked outside to my my back deck area & here are what our plantain look like today.

Plaintain in with Grass
C89E300B-6CAC-4227-B08D-B7E76F9F9FB7.jpeg

Plantsin Next to Dandelion
CA9ADBCE-C50F-422D-BF85-47013B46CAFB.jpeg

Inspire2be

New York
#2 is plantain: safe

#1 I'm pretty sure is baby plantain, wait a week and you'll know for sure!

#3 could be a melon/cucumber; a tomato; a buttercup?! I need a photo where the plant isn't wet and hopefully the flowers more clear to say. I doubt it's a tomato but as tomatoes aren't something you'd want to intentionally feed, hang off until you get a better photo
#4 is violet, safe

#5 is dock; opinions vary, I wouldn't feed it and my Russian doesn't care for it anyway.

#6 is something in the brassica family (sheperd's purse, arugula, mustard, broccoli, kale, collards and a billion other things). All are safe in moderation.

You are going to read and get a ton of opinions on plants, even among experienced owners/breeders here. Some people are relaxed (like me); others are super cautious. The best advice I can give here is pay attention to how long someone has been a member or owner (these aren't always the same), the most experienced owners tend to be in a better place to give advice. If you can figure out who is a breeder even better.

I personally am not a fan of the Tortoise Table, which you will see quoted here often, I think the science they use is iffy. But they are definitely very cautious, which can be comforting to a new owner.

Russians can eat tons of different things and will do so happily if they have plenty of space and sun. Mine is an excellent eater but even the pickier of Russians are open minded once they get used to a new space.

Your tortoise can go much longer without eating than we can and may not be comfortable getting out much at the beginning anyway so focus on housing setup first.
Thank you so much for your detailed response! I super appreciate it! 🙏