safe pesticide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlewurx

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nacogdoches, TX
I've got 4 baby sullies. (approx 6 months old.) Their table is about 4'x4', with an organic topsoil/sphagnum moss mix substrate that I use to grow grass in, so the fellas can graze.

I noticed that there are these tiny gnat-like bugs in the table now. What can I use to get rid of the bugs but not hurt my torts?

Thanks!

JD

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi JD:

I'm afraid that if you're going to have moist substrate, those little bugs are a fact of life. If you take the substrate outside in the sun and spread it out, the sun will kill off most of them, but when you bring it back inside and moisten it again, they'll be back in no time. If they really bother you, you'll have to toss the substrate and start with fresh. But the bugs will come back. It seems to me I remember that pill bugs/sow bugs will eat those tiny bugs. Trade one bug for another?

turtlewurx

5 Year Member
Nacogdoches, TX
emysemys said:
Hi JD:

I'm afraid that if you're going to have moist substrate, those little bugs are a fact of life. If you take the substrate outside in the sun and spread it out, the sun will kill off most of them, but when you bring it back inside and moisten it again, they'll be back in no time. If they really bother you, you'll have to toss the substrate and start with fresh. But the bugs will come back. It seems to me I remember that pill bugs/sow bugs will eat those tiny bugs. Trade one bug for another?

Well, my main concern is, "Are they harmful to my torts?" I can live with a few bugs in the soil if they're not hurting the fellas.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No they aren't harmful. You may try baking or boiling your substrate before using. This is suppose to kill anything off and not eat them. Some it has worked for, not sure if everyone.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You could also add a daddy long leg or two to the enclosure and they are awesome springtail hunters --as well as they clear alot of other unwanted insects....I know, sounds creepy huh...well, they are very useful...along with the peel bugs Yvonne suggested--this way you can have the soil being guarded by the peel bugs and the airways protected by the daddy long legs....plus it is kind cool and kick a&* to watch the whole group work well....:p

Status
Not open for further replies.