Safe plants and Flowers to put in Tootsie the Torts enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
hey guys, im doing my torts enclosure over again this weekend for something that is easier for me to access for cleaning. while i remodel the enclosure i want to add some color and life. i try'd planting some seeds, but the plants dont last long enough to actually grow because she walks over them and eats them loll. so i was wondering what plants and flowers would be safe for me to buy and add in her enclosure? shes a elongated tort... so it would be more tropical plants not desert plants.. i saw some "marigolds" that looked pretty cool? if any one can give me some tort safe plants and flowers to buy at maybe home depot or any garden store that would be super helpful..thanks guys!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At the top of the "Tortoise Diet and Food" section there are several "Important Threads" that include all types of plants for tortoises to eat. Also, the tortoisetable.org.uk has a very nice selection of acceptable plants for tortoises.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My personal "must haves" are:

Mulberry tree (can be kept trimmed down to a bush. You want the leaves not the berries for most tortoises)

Althea/Rose of Sharon (a great bush that is very hardy. Blooms and leaves are great)

Tropical hibiscus (blooms and leaves. Tropical so not hardy in many areas, but can be taken indoors for the winter)

Daylilies (super hardy, great shade, and blooms are liked by many)

Airplane plant (some call it a spider plant. Love having this hanging into the enclosure and then you can feed the "babies")

Bush varieties of squash vines (bush ones make the best for hide spots. Feed the blooms)

Hostas

Grape vines (great for the side or too block strong sun. Feed the leaves)

At this point it becomes more a toss up, what is available, what is on sale (I am cheap), what theme I am going with and personal likes. Things like rose moss, rose bushes, petunia, hollyhocks, salvia, cactus, nasturtiums, banana plant, begonia, coleus, swiss chard (there is a rainbow seed mixture called "bright lites" awesome colors!), dianthus (but not a lot), and so on. Much easier to start with what you like and check to see if they are good choices.

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
now if i go to home depot or kmart or any store with a garden center to buy some flowers and plants...do i have to worrie about the soil the plants come with or any pesticides or anything like that? or should they all be safe for the enclosure?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is your tortoise a heavy grazer who will eat the whole new plant down to nothing in one sitting? Those kinds of tortoises I worry more about then the kind who do a sample here and move to the next plant to sample.

The store plants will have chemicals on them and in them and their soil. I have taken and planted into enclosures directly from the store. It's not my favorite way to do it. I prefer to give the plants an entire season or atleast as much time at my home before planting into the enclosure. You can lessen any possible problems by:

...Giving the plants as much "clearing out their system time" as you can before planting.
...Trimming the plant and waiting for the new growth to come out before planting.
...Trimming the plants so most of the leaves are out of the reach of the tortoise.
....Dumping the soil they come with and cleaning off the plant's root system.
...Buying from only organic places.
...Growing your own from seeds/cuttings.
...Don't forget asking friends, family, neighbors and even total strangers on places like FreeCycle for plants. Check out yards as you drive by and ask for starters from their plants.

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
well i feed my tort pretty good...she's only messed with the plants i tried to grow the times were she had a day in between feedings... i realy dont have any place else to put the plants other then straight into her enclosure... would just any supermarket carry organic flowers or would it only be places that are certified organic like whole foods?

and now you got me worried because i buy her greens and fruits at my local market basket which is the main super market in my area... now those greens that are sold for humans prob have the same kind of things that i would have to worrie about with the flowers huh?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay here is how I look at it... some folks won't let their tortoises eat anything they don't grow themselves. Some think only organic. Then there is the me type, my tortoises eat what comes from the store or is given to me (along with what I grow). I am not particular, picky or anything else. Like I said I have used plants straight from the store and I have waited to use them. For me, I have had no problems. Then again I also eat my tomatoes right out there in the garden/flowerbed/pot without washing them first. Sometimes I think some people coddle their wild animals aKa tortoises a bit much. It's all about where your level of comfort is. I don't feel one way is right or wrong.

... and yes, you would be amazed at what is in the soil and water used on your food supply.... including the "organic" ones. :D

Wait there is one rule I never forget to follow, those cut flowers you buy at the stores/florists? Never ever feed them!

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Got ya! No cut flowers...I'm going to buy the actual plants that are already bloomed and still rooted...I'll rinse the roots off and put them in my substrate! Thank you too ..all the info had been a huge help..I've owned a few reptiles before but this is my first tort and I plan to have her out live me so I just wanna hear y'all input before I do anything with her...major help! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.