Safe Slider Air Temperatures Outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, AR
I have various yearling sliders (Rio Grande, Yellow Bellied, Mexican, and Belize) outside in a 40 gallon stock tank. The water is heated to around 80 degrees and is in full sun. What is the minimum air temperature that these sliders can handle? I would like to know when I need to bring them in the garage where it's warmer and then eventually inside the house. Thanks!

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Air temp should be low 70s to 80 also word to the wise you better get a huge tank like 125 gallon because the sliders will get big and make sure they all have plenty of room to bask at any given type because they are big basking turtle ( they love basking). Well I hope I was help and sliders are great turtles i love them so much :D

Thank the LORD for Everything:D

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If they're in a heated tank, the air temp doesn't really matter much. They probably won't bask though if it gets too cool.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
Thanks to both of you! I think I'll take your advice and also watch the local turtles to see when they quit basking and their activities leading into winter. This should give me a good idea of what to do and when. :)

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
Guru: They are going outside in my 3,200 gallon koi pond next summer. They'll have more than enough room. :D

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
austinl01 said:
Guru: They are going outside in my 3,200 gallon koi pond next summer. They'll have more than enough room. :D

They'll love it out there; just so the water is deep enough that they don't freeze.:tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.