safe to hibernate russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

penny

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi,
I adopted a rescue horsfield tortoise in June this year. I don't know if he has ever been hibernated before. He is 7-8 years approx 110mm and weighs about 340g. Is he a healthy weight for hibernation for his size? I'm quite worried that if he's never been hibernated it might be too risky but would prefer to if possible as it is what he would do naturally in the wild. I was planning to stop feeding him in the next few days (for about four weeks) and bathe him regularly,and to reduce the time the UVA/UVB lamp is on. I'm hoping to use the fridge method and hibernate him for about 10-12 weeks. Does this seem reasonable? I'm finding the prospect quite daunting.
What do you think?

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I agree...it is kind of a rule of thumb that you never hibernate a tortoise the first year you aquire it. They are good at hiding symptoms that might not show up for several months.
Good luck
Patsy

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I agree with the above posts, I never hibernate the first year of owning them. And also you don't have to hibernate if you don't want to, he will be fine ( I have some that I give them time to hibernate, but the never go under and always end up inside for the winter & the mate every spring. But I will tell you every year I stress all winter long as mine hibernate in there pens outside, I worry about rain, to cold, etc. etc. etc.

penny

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:
I agree with the above posts, I never hibernate the first year of owning them. And also you don't have to hibernate if you don't want to, he will be fine ( I have some that I give them time to hibernate, but the never go under and always end up inside for the winter & the mate every spring. But I will tell you every year I stress all winter long as mine hibernate in there pens outside, I worry about rain, to cold, etc. etc. etc.

Thank you for the advice. He is still eating very well and obviously not "winding down" as I've left the lamp on so it probably would be safer to keep him awake this year. I was worried because opinion does seem to be divided on some forums about whether hibernation is preferable/essential because it "is part of the natural life cycle" does anyone know if there has been any research done into the long-term effects of non-hibernation?
cheers
Penny

Thanks for the advice. i think it probly would be safer to keep him awake this year as he is still eating very well and doesn't seem to be "winding down" probably because i've left the lamp on just as long. i was worried because opinion seems to be divided on whether hibernation is essential/preferable as part of the "natural life cycle"
Does anyone know if there has been any research done into the long-term effects of non-hibernation.
Cheers
Penny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Penney: While hibernation IS a "natural life cycle", it isn't necessary for a tortoise to hibernate to be healthy and stay alive. Hibernation is just a method Mother Nature uses to keep her cold blooded creatures safe until the weather warms up. If it isn't cold, they don't need to hibernate. And if you keep your tortoise under lights and heaters, it isn't cold. Its always a good idea to keep a new tortoise "up" the first winter.

Yvonne

penny

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Penney: While hibernation IS a "natural life cycle", it isn't necessary for a tortoise to hibernate to be healthy and stay alive. Hibernation is just a method Mother Nature uses to keep her cold blooded creatures safe until the weather warms up. If it isn't cold, they don't need to hibernate. And if you keep your tortoise under lights and heaters, it isn't cold. Its always a good idea to keep a new tortoise "up" the first winter.

Yvonne

Thank you. By next year Albert my horsfield will be about 8/9 years old.( I'm going by what the rescue staff told me he's 110 mm and weighs about 340g... Does that sound about right?) As he was a rescue I've no idea if he has ever been hibernated before. Do you think he would be too old to start then possibly for the first time?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I said you should keep your tortoise up the first year, I didn't mean HIS first year. I meant the first year that YOU have him. That gives you a chance to get to know him and his habits and to see if he's sick or not. They hide their illnesses pretty well.

Yvonne

penny

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
When I said you should keep your tortoise up the first year, I didn't mean HIS first year. I meant the first year that YOU have him. That gives you a chance to get to know him and his habits and to see if he's sick or not. They hide their illnesses pretty well.

Yvonne

No it's OK I realised you meant the first year of ownership but I'm still interested to know if it's OK to hibernate a tortoise for the first time if they're 8 or 9 yrs. Is it simply down to personal choice and adjusting the temperature etc if you choose to hibernate. Also would you say from his size he is this age? I'm sorry if I sound a bit ignorant and I did do some research before I got him but there is always seems to be more to it than you'd expect. Thanks again.
Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.