Safety of captive bred?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I understand and agree mixing species that don't naturally occur together is a hazardous practice due to problems with disease and parasites: one species may pass disease to the other that may not have sufficient resistance and can die.

But if animals are captive-bred are they less likely to carry diseases? If they come from similar climates, could they be safely housed together given sufficient space and no big size difference?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
You would think. But then again, I don't accept that mixing species is inherently dangerous and I believe that there is such a thing as mixing species responsibly (or knowledgeably).

Good luck getting satisfactory answers.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
If it were based only on the pathogen debate I would have to say sure, why not. As long as they share a similar environment. Water turtles do it all the time because they have no choice and each type has developed to coexist in different areas of the same pond or water way. BUT.... what about the different temperaments of tortoises?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Actually, water turtles is what I was considering: Ornate Wood Turtle (aka Central American Wood Turtle) with different species of US water turtle.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Moozillion said:
I understand and agree mixing species that don't naturally occur together is a hazardous practice due to problems with disease and parasites: one species may pass disease to the other that may not have sufficient resistance and can die.

But if animals are captive-bred are they less likely to carry diseases? If they come from similar climates, could they be safely housed together given sufficient space and no big size difference?

I can't speak to mixing aquatic turtle species, as I don't have enough experience.

With tortoises there is a reduction in the risk with captive bred animals, but not an elimination of risk. I have seen many cases of captive bred tortoises infecting other captive bred tortoises from different parts of the world with various nasties.

There is no practical way to eliminate 100% of disease risks to our tortoises, but NOT mixing species is a good way to eliminate at least some of the risk.

Good luck with your turtles! :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I would say that it would be fine as long as you consider all the needs of each species in your habitat. There are some wonderful designs for ponds to include deep water and shallow water for the different species on the internet. Also consider this, if your land mass is large enough and you pond is large enough with a good variation in depth and mico-habitats like heavy plant matter etc.., you could also enjoy some box turtles in there! Where we used to hunt it was not uncommon to see box turtles sunning, swimming and drinking in the same areas we saw RES, Soft shells, muds, musks, and snapping turtles. South Texas by the way. Coastal area near Houston, Matagorda, Cleveland and Katy area.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Rhinoclemmys are not "water" Turtles in the least, compared to other "water" Turtles....

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
EricIvins said:
Rhinoclemmys are not "water" Turtles in the least, compared to other "water" Turtles....

Yeah- I'm a little confused about them. I thought they were terrestrial but some of the stuff I'm reading says the hatchlings and immature turtles are very aquatic, but the adults are 1/2 and 1/2. I'm seeing aquariums with both water and land sides recommended.
What do you recommend? Thanks!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
EricIvins said:

Aren't they semi-aquatic. Almost ever site I have seen them has pics of them swimming around in shallow water as well as running around on land. I also asked about them at a show and was told that they can be kept on land but are better suited for a more diverse environment with plenty of access to water. Is this wrong?