Status
Not open for further replies.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Ventura County, CA
Dunno if it works, but I think I'm gonna get one along with the prickly pears that are de-spined... It sure would save on the length the salad stuff stays fresh, if it's for reals..

Purpod

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
purpod said:
Dunno if it works, but I think I'm gonna get one along with the prickly pears that are de-spined... It sure would save on the length the salad stuff stays fresh, if it's for reals..

Purpod
I think I am going to order one. I would love to order some prickly pears but I dont think the custom will accept fruits :(.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
I would love to order some prickly pears but I dont think the custom will accept fruits

You know, Isa, ;) I doubt that the packaging will say that it is fruit, as I ordered cacti pads from them before, and nothing was noted on the packaging that inside were plants.. But, of course, I am encouraging you to be sneaky, and for that, please forgive ~ :shy:

Yes, that bag sounds great; I really hope it works!

Blessings,
Purpod

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Brief research on-line suggests you can make your own terry cloth bag for this. Rise/soak the greens, dump them in a terry cloth bag, and then keep the bag moist. Some sites recommend soaking the bag first- but the goal seems to be to keep the greens dry, but very humid, so I am not sure soaking first is a good idea.

Of course, by the time you get the fabric,sew it all up, etc., I am not sure you are saving a bunch over buying it at Carolina!

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Great idea, 007, but the time issue would be a problem for this one ~ full time student in Criminal Justice Program, single Mom of 2, and a few more cold blooded family members makes for little time; altho you also made a good point that after the investments, perhaps not much money would be saved... still, should anyone have terrycloth lying about & they are handy with a needle, that would certainly be a good way to go ~

G' Eve,
Purpod

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
purpod said:
You know, Isa, ;) I doubt that the packaging will say that it is fruit, as I ordered cacti pads from them before, and nothing was noted on the packaging that inside were plants.. But, of course, I am encouraging you to be sneaky, and for that, please forgive ~ :shy:

Yes, that bag sounds great; I really hope it works!

Blessings,
Purpod

Thanks Purpod ;)

What kind of cactus pads did you buy? I always wanted to buy cactus pad for Hermy because I heard it is very good for torties?

stano40

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NH
I guess two terry cloth towels would work as well. Sew them together and voila, you have a salad bag.

It might probably be a little cheaper.

bob/stano40

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Thanx, Bob/Stano ~ That was an xllnt idea about the terry cloth towel, as I can get those from the dollar store!

Isa, this is what I got from Carolina last time:
1 x 1 pound of edible Spineless Cactus SALE!!! = $5.95
1 x Grazing Tortoise Seed Mix 1 lb = $9.95

But now since the fruit is on special, I'll order those. You know, the shipping and handling charges from CPS are much higher than it really costs to mail things; if you like, we could maybe combine our orders and then either you or I {whoever receives the order} could mail the other what they had ordered..? {Did that make sense to anyone but myself, lol?}

Anyways, I think I'll give the terry cloth towels a try before I spend quadruple the amount to get that sack from CPS..

Happy Day to All ~
Purpod

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
purpod said:
Thanx, Bob/Stano ~ That was an xllnt idea about the terry cloth towel, as I can get those from the dollar store!

Isa, this is what I got from Carolina last time:
1 x 1 pound of edible Spineless Cactus SALE!!! = $5.95
1 x Grazing Tortoise Seed Mix 1 lb = $9.95

But now since the fruit is on special, I'll order those. You know, the shipping and handling charges from CPS are much higher than it really costs to mail things; if you like, we could maybe combine our orders and then either you or I {whoever receives the order} could mail the other what they had ordered..? {Did that make sense to anyone but myself, lol?}

Anyways, I think I'll give the terry cloth towels a try before I spend quadruple the amount to get that sack from CPS..

Happy Day to All ~
Purpod

Thanks for the offer Purpod but since I live in Canada, I am sure the custom wont let the cactus go through the border.

Thanks for the links Robyn :D

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Thanx for the links, Robyn; have you ever tried such a product before? Your input is always appreciated!!

Blessings ~
Purpod

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
No but I have used micro fiber towels in my veggie bin but I didn’t' dampen them. I think I will try that. They stated in the ad that the cloth is actually a special absorbent cotton cloth maybe its micro fiber. I'll try it and see I just got some escarole today so I will set it up and see what happens with a towel on top and one on the bottom. can't hurt and I love an experiment. Thanks purpod, I just hope some of my input is helpfuls sometimes. :D

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hey Robyn,
Your input is always helpful & much appreciated, so never doubt that one, GirlFriend! How did the micro fibers work in the past? Let me know how it works with the escarole?

Thanx again ~
Purpod

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks Purpod. I started my experiment last night. Well early, early this morning around 1AM. I placed two of the micro fiber towels in the frig, one on the bottom one on the top. I literally wrapped the escarole and turnip greens in them loosely. I left one of each green out to see how it does. The only thing I have ever used the micro fiber towels on is my car and they worked great for that LOL. So if this works I will zip a couple up into bags.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
OK, I bought a couple dollar-store towels and sewed them together to make a 14"x17" bag and am trying it now. I will report on how it goes compared to other methods I have used.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Well its the 19th and the Escarole is doing fine. the turnip greens seemed a little limp when I used the rest of them up yesterday. But the one I left out was really bad. So just placing a micro towel under and over them in the frig seems to help a little.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Well its the 19th and the Escarole is doing fine. the turnip greens seemed a little limp when I used the rest of them up yesterday. But the one I left out was really bad. So just placing a micro towel under and over them in the frig seems to help a little.

Thanks for the info Robyn :)

Status
Not open for further replies.