Salmonella??

Quince Wood

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
When i was at the pet store the other day just looking around i asked an employee if i could hold one of their russians she then replied "yes, but wash you hands because ALL torts and turtles carry salmonella, and i thought that cant be right i know they can carry it but i dont think that all of them do??
So doo all torts and turtles carry it or is it just a myth???

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They all carry it, but like everything when you practice proper hygiene, it is no more risky than eggs, chicken, or money.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
All of them have the potential to carry salmonella in illness-causing amounts. Mostly our immune system protects us. (Small or immunocompromised folks are at high risk) So we wash our hands routinely after touching them. Because finding out after the fact that that particular animal carried it and we are susceptible just isn't worth it.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
They are carriers but the amount on them is pretty low. You have a better chance of getting it from a child or an egg. The scare from the 70's was mostly caused by people feeding baby res's raw chicken and then wondering why their kids got sick when they kissed or handled little Sheldon. Still, it is a very good idea to wash up well after handling your tort or turt no matter the species. Oh, and do not kiss your tortoise. It is not good for either of you, lol. :)