Saluda Smidgen la Tortuga!

TisMary

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Say hello to Smidgen! He’s our 3-month old Western Hermann’s Tortoise from Garden State Tortoises. He’s of the Mallorca locale – the smallest of the small (and the cutest of the cute!) His motto is “Diminutive is Superlative!” ?

When we got him, he was a little bigger’n a quarter (a little smaller’n a Looney!)
1630516243853.png

He likes the house my husband designed for him ? (and I helped to build) and has picked out his favorite spots.
1630516269581.png
(Shown here with hygrometers that aren’t left in when he’s home.) He likes the inch plant (Chlorophytum comosum) and sleeps in it, on it, under it, or in the humid hide that it covers.

He also likes the “patio” we added for him in one corner.
1630516307498.png

His day starts at 7am when the lights go on. He has a snack, warms up under the basking light, gets another snack, has a soak, then another snack (!) then he goes to bed about 2pm and stays there till the next morning.

I love to watch him bask and sleep, especially when he’s got everything extended!
1630516341187.png

Welcome home, Smidgen!

SouthPaw

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Westchester County, NY
Hey there fellow New Yorker and fellow “Mary”! Smidgen is adorable! I have a Russian tortoise, he/she is 7 months old now. My husband and I built his house too :)

~Mary

TisMary

New York
Hey there fellow New Yorker and fellow “Mary”! Smidgen is adorable! I have a Russian tortoise, he/she is 7 months old now. My husband and I built his house too :)

~Mary
Thank you Mary @SouthPaw! We've been together since we were 16 and now we're, well - not 16 anymore ? Building a tortoise enclosure together is a true test of partnership! Sounds like you two made it also - congrats!

P.S. hammering in nails to make jigs is very therapeutic I must say!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome nice enclosure. It would be much better for your little one if it was a closed chamber. From your pics and on my phone it looks to be open topped.