Same as mazuri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Is pre alpin food the same
As mazuri? It's finding difficult to get hold of mazuri in the uk but I have came across this:

Tortoises need a very high in fibre diet which is low in protein and carbohydrates. The new pre alpin foods are excellent. Pre Alpin is a mix of weeds and flowers that are grown in meadows, dried, chopped up and then packaged. The Fibre one has added linseed oil.
The Fibre one comes in a dried loose form. I find that soaking them makes them more palatable and instructions come with it. I have also found that a small amount sprinkled onto your normal fresh food allows them to get used to it. I am feeding a little with their normal foods during the summer months and I will definately be using it in the winter with the tropical tortoises.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Don't think it's the same, sounds more like the Zoo Med food.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I use both Zoo Med and Mazuri and have been satisfied with the results of both. Some seem to have issues getting their torts to eat the Zoo Med Forest Tortoise/Grassland diet, but all four of my redfoots demolish it when it's offered (1 every week or two).

I usually alternate between the two, given the availability one or the other would be fine for your torts.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Thankyou, this is re-assuring. Just hope my tort likes it! He's quite the fuss pot!

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
It took my two a while to get used to the pre alpin but now they like it and I feel like Harley has came on leaps and bounds with it. I use the ones that come in giant pellet shapes that you add hot water to, I started by tricking little clumps wrapped inside their favourite leaves but now I put spoonfuls into their food and mix it all up :)

karleyreed

5 Year Member
I hope mike likes it!! I might trick him to start with as I said, he's quite the little madam lol.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
There is a lot of conjecture as to why Mazuri isn't sold in the UK. There's a product called NutraZu that is said to be similar, but has to be imported from elsewhere in europe. Also Mazuri leaf eater is also said to be similar, but might not be from the same company. I saw mazuri for sale on one of the UK sites for, I believe 500g for 7gbp. So I believe that someone has imported some. I would contact Mazuri, and ask where or if it can be bought locally. I think that it would be well received in the UK.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
GBtortoises said:
karleyreed said:
Is zoo med food ok?

The Zoo Med products (Forest & Grassland) have better nutrient levels than Mazuri does.

I also prefer the Zoo Med for the same reason as GBTorts has said, but I do see remarkable results with Mazuri, so I use it ~ 1/month.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
GBtortoises said:
The Zoo Med products (Forest & Grassland) have better nutrient levels than Mazuri does.

Maybe this is why my redfoot won't touch it... -__-

countrygirlcolorado

5 Year Member
My red foot LOVES ZooMed, she has been on it since I got her. Actually my baby Leo does too. she attacked the ZooMed when I put it in there. She was on mazuri when I got her so I kept her on it, she kinda picked around it though. Since mazuri is so hard to find around my area I figured I would try ZooMed on her and it was a success!

Attachments

• image-192782051.png
    image-192782051.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Oh bloody hell! I'll send ya'all some Mazuri tort chow if you cover shipping costs from the US. After the holidays would probably be best. I'm a snob, so you will have to do the conversion, but I'll get it to you at my cost of $29.99 for 25#. 5# via postal shouldn't be much more than a pound cake no one eats. Pm me and let me know. I have the Paypal to make it easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.