Sammy eating Toilet paper

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Balto. MD
Not sure if I should be worried or concerned. Today, I a had a plumbing problem in my lower bathroom drain. While trying to fix the problem, I had to remove rolls of toilet paper from under the sink that I stored there. Not thinking and not paying attention, I left 2 rolls out where Sammy could get to them. So while I was in the bathroom trying to fix my leak, Sammy decided to have a high fiber diet for breakfast, my concern is not the paper but the ink on the paper. The rest of the day has been normal, with no problem eating the rest of his green and acting like nothing happened. Here are a couple of pictures of what Sammy ate. Two full paper rappers off of two rolls and started eating on one, before I seen what he was doing. Should I be worried or just concerned and wait for him to pass his toilet paper.

Attachments

• 20230521_174803.jpg
    20230521_174803.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230521_190610.jpg
    20230521_190610.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
He was in his enclosure, the whole room is his enclosure. Sammy was interested in what I was doing in the bathroom, I accidentally pushed 2 rolls of toilet paper out in his area when I closed the bathroom door. First mishap in over 5 years. I sure you have learn alot about your mistakes in your years that you have been raising Tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If the room is his, then for all those others who think it's fine to let their tortoise roam the house, this is a great example of why it's not okay. Exactly like you said, first time in 5 years. That's the point, even after years of being conscious of not letting bad things happen, something will come up and it only takes one time.
Luckily in this case, it's just paper and dye. I would still just keep an eye on him and soaks. Likely not enough dye to do any damage. It's a paper covering right, not plastic? If it were plastic, then I would have more concerns.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
If the room is his, then for all those others who think it's fine to let their tortoise roam the house, this is a great example of why it's not okay. Exactly like you said, first time in 5 years. That's the point, even after years of being conscious of not letting bad things happen, something will come up and it only takes one time.
Luckily in this case, it's just paper and dye. I would still just keep an eye on him and soaks. Likely not enough dye to do any damage. It's a paper covering right, not plastic? If it were plastic, then I would have more concerns.
It was just 1 ply paper cover, the whole room is his. I just had the door to the bathroom open and Sammy got nosey to what I was doing. Believe me, I take every precaution to keep Sammy safe.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It was just 1 ply paper cover, the whole room is his. I just had the door to the bathroom open and Sammy got nosey to what I was doing. Believe me, I take every precaution to keep Sammy safe.
Oh I believe you do, now that I know he doesn't roam the house. I also know how nosy they can be. My leopards have to be right there, in our way, if we are doing anything in their areas.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Hello TFO, just wanted to give an update on Sammy. Everything is going normal today, Sammy has eaten breakfast, pooped alot and got a good soaking. We took a long walk for about 1 mile, there was a small parade going threw the neighborhood. They saw Sammy walking and the parade stopped. Their were Fire Trucks, Police Cars, Ambulance and many cars and Van's. Something to do with the awareness and care of the Elderly. Their were vans with Elderly Care stickers on the doors. Sorry to drag this out but Sammy came back from his walk, ate alot more.Then just before going to bed, he decided to leave me a big present 💩💩. No toilet paper yet!

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I agree….it’s meant to degrade, so i agree with Wellington.
I believe it will dissolve on it own, the paper cover said it is clog free and setic safe. LOL

Attachments

• 20230521_190610.jpg
    20230521_190610.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 3

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello TFO, just wanted to give an update on Sammy. Everything is going normal today, Sammy has eaten breakfast, pooped alot and got a good soaking. We took a long walk for about 1 mile, there was a small parade going threw the neighborhood. They saw Sammy walking and the parade stopped. Their were Fire Trucks, Police Cars, Ambulance and many cars and Van's. Something to do with the awareness and care of the Elderly. Their were vans with Elderly Care stickers on the doors. Sorry to drag this out but Sammy came back from his walk, ate alot more.Then just before going to bed, he decided to leave me a big present 💩💩. No toilet paper yet!
I'm sure the people in the parade loved to see Sammy When we take our Hermann's out, we make a point of introducing him to older people, as so many haved loved a tortoise in earlier years, and never seen one since - it is quite moving to see their delight.
Angie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I'm sure the people in the parade loved to see Sammy When we take our Hermann's out, we make a point of introducing him to older people, as so many haved loved a tortoise in earlier years, and never seen one since - it is quite moving to see their delight.
Angie
Yes indeedy my dear. Gives us geezers hope for being around tomorrow, seeing as how them critters make it for so long, and all...!