Status
Not open for further replies.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
WAY OFF TOPIC CHIT CHAT.
Does anyone here have appliance repair experience?
I am getting some with my crappy Samsung French door refrigerator!
About once every 15 months the fan motor on the evaporator coil burns out. The filter assembly cracked and leaked. Sometimes the ice feed line heater takes a dump and twice now, I've had to replace the ice cube tray due to cracking in half.
Now the ice maker will add water. It will freeze the ice cubes. But it will NOT dump the cubes into the hopper.
Only if I push the "test" button will it cycle and drop the cubes.
The replacement ice motor assembly is about $150 and contains the circuit board. The part I assume is defective. But I'm not sure. And I don't want to toss another $150 at this $1,300 refrigerator.
....Unless I can get another year or two out of it.
The new one my wife wants is almost $4,000.
They just don't make them like they used to.
It's a long shot asking here.
I know I'm not the only DIY guy here.
Thanks

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I’d try looking it up on the google like the kids do today. I say this with experience. I spent the night at my daughters house and when I woke up I wanted a cup of coffee. Well they have one of those pod coffee makers and I had no idea on the operation of it. I jumped on google and had coffee in no time. Now I’ve got one of those makers for myself and they are way easy.

Last edited:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Easy coffee that's how they get you

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
My refrigerator ice maker went bad a few years ago so I removed it and bought one of those counter top ice makers.Every few days I make ice using it to fill to the original dump container from the old ice maker.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
WAY OFF TOPIC CHIT CHAT.
Does anyone here have appliance repair experience?
I am getting some with my crappy Samsung French door refrigerator!
About once every 15 months the fan motor on the evaporator coil burns out. The filter assembly cracked and leaked. Sometimes the ice feed line heater takes a dump and twice now, I've had to replace the ice cube tray due to cracking in half.
Now the ice maker will add water. It will freeze the ice cubes. But it will NOT dump the cubes into the hopper.
Only if I push the "test" button will it cycle and drop the cubes.
The replacement ice motor assembly is about $150 and contains the circuit board. The part I assume is defective. But I'm not sure. And I don't want to toss another $150 at this $1,300 refrigerator.
....Unless I can get another year or two out of it.
The new one my wife wants is almost $4,000.
They just don't make them like they used to.
It's a long shot asking here.
I know I'm not the only DIY guy here.
Thanks

Since there are multiple problems and some of them are recurring, I'd also think it's likely to be something central (control board). But beforehand I'd test and check as much as I could to make sure/see if theres something that caused it. In theory, everything could be traced back to a bad controller even the cracked parts. Gets too cold, causes cracked filter/ice tray, etc.

I'd check the outlet and terminations at the breaker panel first since that is the one thing ahead of the controller and its fairly straight forward. Make sure theres a good connection and everything is tight. And probably also where the cord terminates in the fridge and any other electrical connections i can see in fridge. A loose connection or poor contact can cause all kinds of problems. and could have damaged the control board.

If possible I'd try to find the sensors/thermometers that input to the control board. I can see that as possibly causing most of the problems as well. Maybe the control board isnt being told that the ice is ready; or isn't accurately reading the temperature in the freezer causing problems with the evaporator and heater. I'd try to find out how the ice maker should 'know' that the ice is ready and try to bypass that sensor to trigger a 'on' response.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Since there are multiple problems and some of them are recurring, I'd also think it's likely to be something central (control board). But beforehand I'd test and check as much as I could to make sure/see if theres something that caused it. In theory, everything could be traced back to a bad controller even the cracked parts. Gets too cold, causes cracked filter/ice tray, etc.

I'd check the outlet and terminations at the breaker panel first since that is the one thing ahead of the controller and its fairly straight forward. Make sure theres a good connection and everything is tight. And probably also where the cord terminates in the fridge and any other electrical connections i can see in fridge. A loose connection or poor contact can cause all kinds of problems. and could have damaged the control board.

If possible I'd try to find the sensors/thermometers that input to the control board. I can see that as possibly causing most of the problems as well. Maybe the control board isnt being told that the ice is ready; or isn't accurately reading the temperature in the freezer causing problems with the evaporator and heater. I'd try to find out how the ice maker should 'know' that the ice is ready and try to bypass that sensor to trigger a 'on' response.
It DOES seem to be that the ice hopper doesn't know the ice is ready.
I've been hitting the "test" button every few hours. The ice tray dumps and refills again.
It does everything except dump the ice when it's ready.
That'll work until my control board arrives.
I found one for $70.
Fingers crossed.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
YouTube is very helpful.
But I found nothing for exactly what I was experiencing there. Just how to replace the whole ice motor assembly
Two years ago I looked on Google, which sent me to YouTube...how to replace the auger in the hopper. More complex than one would think! And now it's breaking again...sure hope I can find that video!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I just never found anything that explained why the ice won't dump on its own.
I think...And it's just my theory that it's either a bad ice sensor. Saying the cubes aren't frozen yet. Or an issue with the control board and a timer issue.
BOTH of these come brand new with the ice motor assembly.
I'll know tomorrow....
Unless it's being shipped FEDEX. Then who knows if I'll ever see it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I got it today. A day early. USPS.
I was wrong about there being a control board in there. There isn't. But I'm still thinking it's the ice sensor. It dumps the ice at 9 degrees. The sensor sits on the bottom of the tray.
I've installed the thing. Hopefully in an hour or so, I'll hear ice dumping.
Thanks for the input.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks like the machines are taking over. All hail our robot overlords

Status
Not open for further replies.