San Antonio, Tx area turtle & tort rescue!

Location (City and/or State)
Spring Branch, TX
Hi everyone!

My name is Rachel. I have had a lifelong love for turtles and tortoises. My very first experience with a pet turtle was my beloved eastern box turtle "Mango" when I was a teenager back on the east coast. I have always adored these shelled creatures and decided to start a rescue for them here in a place where it seems there are very little options. I was inspired by a friend of mine on this forum, who is also located in San Antonio. I am running it on my private property of 1 1/2 acres in the hill country- Spring Branch, TX. I currently only have a facebook page, as it seems to be working just great. I enjoy networking with folks of the same passion for these animals as I do. I still have a great deal to learn about all species. I have had well over 10 turtles/torts come in and placed into permanent new homes (with ongoing adoption support available if needed) since January of this year. I have had over 6 years experience in the dog rescue world and I apply my knowledge of how a rescue works in my organization. My rescue's name is Eden Animal Sanctuary. Glad to meet you all!

Attachments

• baby sulcata pic.jpg
    baby sulcata pic.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 26

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Hey Rachel Your So Awesome. :D And I'm so glad to see you posting on here. :) And IMO you are the perfect person to do this job.
And I wonder who inspired you? Hmm.. :p I will be in touch later today.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Rachel!

It's very hard, but an important thing to remember is - you can't keep them all!

escurnow

5 Year Member
South Texas
Hi! I'm a bit south of San Antonio, if you need a place around here, i'd be happy to help foster a few! I was considering becoming an 'official' rescue as well. We have the land and love the torts. Maybe you could give me some pointers!

Spring Branch, TX
Hi! I'm a bit south of San Antonio, if you need a place around here, i'd be happy to help foster a few! I was considering becoming an 'official' rescue as well. We have the land and love the torts. Maybe you could give me some pointers!

That's great! I'll keep you in mind if I need the help!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Start with a dba and get your company to show a year or more of the charitable work your doing then incorporate for 501c(3) status. Takes a long time but it's worth it in the end.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Rachel, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Great to have you here!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! What have you had come in so far?

Alaskamike

South Florida
It's always great to hear about another sanctuary / rescue operation. I think many on here have taken in unwanted and sometimes damaged tortoises just because we care about them.

I would second the 501c3 suggestion. It really is very easy and not expensive to do this yourself. You don't need a lawyer.

Keep a journal record of everything you spend on habitats / supply's / food etc. you can download the application forms from your State corporation website and simply answer the questions. The application fees are small for non profits.

In that way , as you seek to re home any rehoming fees become tax free and can be put back into the operation. You can also accept donations to help.

Record keeping with a dedicated bank acct in the non profits name is really the basics.

Good fortune with your endeavor.

Spring Branch, TX
It's always great to hear about another sanctuary / rescue operation. I think many on here have taken in unwanted and sometimes damaged tortoises just because we care about them.

I would second the 501c3 suggestion. It really is very easy and not expensive to do this yourself. You don't need a lawyer.

Keep a journal record of everything you spend on habitats / supply's / food etc. you can download the application forms from your State corporation website and simply answer the questions. The application fees are small for non profits.

In that way , as you seek to re home any rehoming fees become tax free and can be put back into the operation. You can also accept donations to help.

Record keeping with a dedicated bank acct in the non profits name is really the basics.

Good fortune with your endeavor.

Thank you so much! Unfortunately here in Texas I have been told by another rescue that it costs around $400 (total fees after all is done) and is a very tedious process. Going after it!

Thanks for the encouragement!