Sandy is a boy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I rescued a Sulcata last year who has bad pyramids. He was kept in a corral with junk & wire in it. There was no water source and no grazing, just dirt. He had been chewed by their dobermans. Luckily his flesh wasn't injured...just his shell.
Anyway, the guy told me it was a female. WRONG! He showed my 6 year old grand daughter his "stuff" yesterday when she picked him up to hand him to me over his corral. She was putting her face close to his and telling him he was getting too heavy for her to pick up. He peed a little then showed himself. Luckily my grand daughter didn't ask any other questions when I told her that was the way boy tortoises pee.

At least I don't have to change his name...Sandy can be a boy or girl!
Patsy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Patsy: Its hard to understand why people would go to such lengths to actually pay out money for something then don't take care of it. Can we see some pictures of your rescue? Thank goodness you have taken him from his bad previous life!

Yvonne

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I don't have a camera right now. The battery died in mine, but it wasn't a very good camera, so don't want to waste money for a new battery. I was going to get myself a new camera for Christmas, but it didn't happen. Couldn't make the funds stretch enough!
As far as Sandy's previous owner...he had another Sulcata but couldn't find it. I told him to call me when he found it but he never did, and I misplaced his number. He was a real "redneck" ignoramous. He also had a horse in the same area as the tortoises were...with losts of wire, old fence posts on the ground, vehicle parts, & junk everywhere.
I am glad I have him. He has such a good personality and easy to care for. I really have to build him an outdoor shed soon tho cause I can barely pick him up now to bring him in when it is cold at night.
Take care
Patsy

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I am glad you have him too! None of my guys have showed their "stuff" yet. And, I think I can wait! LOL!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jlyoncc1 said:
I am glad you have him too! None of my guys have showed their "stuff" yet. And, I think I can wait! LOL!

Hi...I am surprised he hasn't showed himself before now. He is 13" and weighs about 35 lbs.

I just wish I had been able to get the other one that the guy couldn't find. He knew 2 days before I picked Sandy up that I was coming. He hadn't seen the other one for over a week.
Sandy's gular is chewed way back and his scales on his front feet aren't attached properly. Some are totally missing. He was very lightweight when I got him. He's eaten like a piggy since the first day I got him. The day I got him I soaked him. As soon as I set him in the tub he began drinking & didn't raise his head for about 5 minutes.
I just hope the other one is still alive & lives in a new home.

Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.