Savannah Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
Hello, I'm having trouble finding a good monitor forum so i figured a few people on here must keep some. i recently got a Savannah monitor. He's really awesome! About a foot long and eating pretty good. He's eating crickets right now and about 14" long. I'm just wondering if it's time to start introducing pinkies or fuzzies. And if so, how many a day?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
I had bearded dragons that could eat full size mice at that size. I am not familiar with the monitor, but if its mouth and throat are about the same size as the dragon, a fuzzie should go right down!

latshki

5 Year Member
stick with the bugs, mice are a good way to have an obese and unhealthy monitor
in the wild savs are strictly insectivorious so getting a good roach colony is key
I would suggest feeding roaches, crickets, superworms, silkworms, nightcrawlers, crayfish and some seafood

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I love the monitors. I've had several species over the years, including quite a few savannahs. I've got seven blackthroats right now plus a couple of Argentine Tegus. Just built some big outdoor cages for them.
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-16245.html

I've heard the insectivore thing about them too, but I've only seen one study on one website saying that, so I don't know if I entirely believe that yet. I've raised lots of them on a very varied diet. None of mine ever got obese. I do think roaches are a great food source for them, but I can tell you for sure that an occasional rodent or two won't hurt them. I also believe they need some humidity and a good hide box. I always kept mine with a humid hide box and they used them frequently. You can see the big brown boxes in my current cages. Those boxes are filled with wet coco chips and they have just the one opening in the front. I intend to mostly bury those boxes to more closely simulate a burrow.

I set mine up much the same as my tortoises. Humid substrate, humid hide box, shallow water dish, warm side, cool side, basking spot around 100. I usually use a piece of slate or flagstone raised up on bricks for a basking spot. The slate keeps the toenails filed down and gives them somewhere warm and secure to hang out if they get under it.

We'd love to see pics of your new baby and your set up. I haven't found a "monitor" forum that I like yet either, but there are quite a few members here with a good amount of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.