Saving a dog! Very excited :D :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Down the road from us is this house, and one day last summer while we were driving by we saw this GORGEOUS brindled Shar Pei. We have a fawn colored Shar Pei, Lily, who has been with us almost 8 years now. This gorgeous pup turned both our heads, he was that flashy. I think I may have seen him one additional time, but although I always looked, no pretty puppy was to be seen :(

Fast forward to two days ago. While trolling Craigslist, I see a listing for a Shar Pei at our local shelter. Guess what?!?! It is the pretty little brindle boy from down the road! I mentioned it to my husband, and we were both pretty bummed about it.

This morning I hop and CL and his status has been updated to SUPER URGENT. (I later found out the only reason he is still alive is because they are out of "blue juice".) I just can't take it, so I call my husband, and he gives me the go ahead to try and get him pulled. (They do this for urgent dogs. Even though I technically do reptile rescue, I am recognized as being a rescue, so they will allow me to take animals out that are in danger of being put down. I got my kitty Sammi the same way.) I called a friend that volunteers there and she said he was a SUPER nice dog, really good with the other animals, made a couple more calls, and it looks like I will be bringing him home Monday if he does not get adopted in the interim (which is very unlikely.)

So here he is! Isn't he gorgeous?!?!

5N25G45Fc3E23Ic3F3c664c32355cf5b91f0b.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Its nice to save something. Just be Very careful introducing him to your dog and cat.. Sometimes there is a reason dogs don't get adopted.. Aggression, high prey drive..
I saved a gorgeous germ shep once. two of my goats paid for it with thier lives. :-( I got him placed in a home with no livestock, and he de-gloved a cats tail....Nice dog.. but not good with Any other animals it turned out..
So just be careful, as im sure you will be...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Way to go. Shar-Pei are my love. Sickens me that the price has come down so low that anyone can have them and unfortunately breed them and then that's what happens. Thank you for saving one. They are the best breed ever.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks everyone ;) And don't worry, he has been temperament tested. I did dog rescue long before I did reptiles. I'm no Tom but I do understand dogs and I am a damn good trainer (horses too) if I do say so myself ;)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Yay for you!!!! You are an angel for this little one! Conrgats! :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
We got him today :) He is a REALLY nice dog. Quite thin, obviously has had poor nutrition or just flat not enough. Lily and he get along famously. Will post pics as soon as I can!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think he will be skinny for long. So glad the two get along. The poor thing probably thinks he won the jackpot. Can't wait for the pics. One of the two together would be nice too:D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I didn't have a whole lot of photo ops, but here is one halfway decent shot. I will get some more as I am able.

Thanks everyone!

newdog.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He does need some weight put on him. He looks mixed to me. Do you know if he is. He is a handsome boy. Can't wait to see how he looks with some weight on.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks again everybody.

Yes, he is obviously mixed. So is Lily. No big deal. Lil is half Rott, although you wouldn't know it to look at her. The new guy is most likely half Pit.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just look at all those shoes they gave him to chew on! :p :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.