Say hi to Spud!

Lollygag

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Hi everyone! I have been reading the forum for some time and wanted to join in. Here are a couple photos of Spud from when he was outside and one from his indoor setup. I'm looking for ways to better accommodate him in the winter. I'm sure there are posts out there so I'll do some searching. . if you have suggestions please share! IMG_20180824_110229136.jpg IMG_20181006_170814730.jpg IMG_20181021_121123701.jpg

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hi and welcome! Spud is very cool! Do a search for "Tom's night box". Tom is a long time member/ tortoise expert that posts detailed instructions on how to build outdoor accomadations for Sulcatas. Have fun!

Lollygag

Arkansas
Hi and welcome! Spud is very cool! Do a search for "Tom's night box". Tom is a long time member/ tortoise expert that posts detailed instructions on how to build outdoor accomadations for Sulcatas. Have fun!
Thanks! I found a few of his and they are great examples!

Lollygag

Arkansas
Welcome! Good looking Sully you have there.

Are daytime temps warm enough in Arkansas that you can let him out to graze during the Winter

One of Tom’s Night Box threads - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/page-7

Good luck!

Thanks! We have highs in the 50s/60s during the winter, which I think would be enough for a quick forage outside. He weighs 65 lbs so he is a pretty good heat sink! If he had a heated hide I think that would work. He currently has an unheated hide so once lows were in the 40s I brought him in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

The winters here may be similar to yours. My Dudley has access to outside all the time. He has a heated, insulated shed, but I open his door every a.m. and lock him in every evening. He goes out even when there is frost on the ground, but seems to be smart enough to know he shouldn't stay out there too long and retreats back into the shed after a quick tour around his territory. You can see his situation here:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/dudleys-rebuild.111350/#post-1034676

I opted for a shed rather than a night box because I wanted Dudley to have more floor space for those days he has to spend the whole day inside. Also, I wanted to be able to walk into the shed with my broom and dust pan for cleaning the poop. The old night box was about 3' tall and I had to prop the roof open, lean in and pick up the poop. This old back doesn't do "lean in."

Last edited:

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I lurked for a long time before I finally joined in, too. This is a great group with tons of knowledge and expertise. Welcome!