Says its annual mallow?

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
Hi guys! I have this in my backyard. It says it's annual mallow on my plant ID. What do you guys think?
Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20210912_090404.jpg
    20210912_090404.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 2021-09-12T08_59_15-05_00.JPEG
    2021-09-12T08_59_15-05_00.JPEG
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210912-090052_PlantNet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210912-090052_PlantNet.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 13

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. It probably is. We have a lot of Marrow here in Maryland & plenty that grow in our gardens. I planted seeds from Marrow that i collected years ago while kayaking along the Potomac River that are blooming. They look pretty much just like urs. Oftentimes Rose of Sharon will look like Marrow and/or Hardy Hibiscus. (All edible).

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Greetings. It probably is. We have a lot of Marrow here in Maryland & plenty that grow in our gardens. I planted seeds from Marrow that i collected years ago while kayaking along the Potomac River that are blooming. They look pretty much just like urs. Oftentimes Rose of Sharon will look like Marrow and/or Hardy Hibiscus. (All edible).
Awesome! Thank you! I thought it was ROS at first, but it wasn't quite right lol. I'm excited to offer that then ?? thank you so much!

TisMary

New York
Hi @Srmcclure - very pretty flowers! Sure looks like a mallow, but could you verify a few things please?

The leaves (maybe you can post a pic?) - Do they look kinda like this (round, "lobed", wavy along the edge, and "palmately" shaped - kinda like the palm of a human hand)? Are the leaves covered with tiny hairs (you may need a magnifier to see). Do the leaf stalks come out on alternating sides of the main stem (or are they opposite each other)?

In the place where there used to be a flower, do you see a little thingy that looks like a wheel of cheese? (see the left side of the drawing below). This is a dead giveaway for plants in the Mallow Family (Malvaceae) - they all have them.

If these things check out, then you've got a Mallow - all species are safe for torts. Mine loves Hibiscus, also a member of the Mallow Family.
1631456447050.png
courtesy Wikipedia

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Definitely some kind of malva and a very pretty one at that. Like all the malvas, particularly the larger ones, the five petaled flower is the giveaway.

Whether it’s annual mallow or a relative, all the plants in the malva family are safe.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hi @Srmcclure - very pretty flowers! Sure looks like a mallow, but could you verify a few things please?

The leaves (maybe you can post a pic?) - Do they look kinda like this (round, "lobed", wavy along the edge, and "palmately" shaped - kinda like the palm of a human hand)? Are the leaves covered with tiny hairs (you may need a magnifier to see). Do the leaf stalks come out on alternating sides of the main stem (or are they opposite each other)?

In the place where there used to be a flower, do you see a little thingy that looks like a wheel of cheese? (see the left side of the drawing below). This is a dead giveaway for plants in the Mallow Family (Malvaceae) - they all have them.

If these things check out, then you've got a Mallow - all species are safe for torts. Mine loves Hibiscus, also a member of the Mallow Family.
View attachment 332612
courtesy Wikipedia
Thank you so much that is super detailed!
My redfoot loves hibiscus so I'm really excited to offer this! She has the kapadilo farms Mallow, But I love adding fresh new things to her diet! Especially when I can get them for free lol

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Definitely some kind of malva and a very pretty one at that. Like all the malvas, particularly the larger ones, the five petaled flower is the giveaway.

Whether it’s annual mallow or a relative, all the plants in the malva family are safe.
Thank you thank you!!