Scary experience with my 3-striped mud turtle when we lost power

susieq450

Location (City and/or State)
Kodak
We don't often lose power out here in East Tennessee but that changed for more than 6 hours yesterday morning. For the most part (except my online job) you just deal with a power outage although it was tough not having my coffee first thing in the morning. But, aside from trying to get my jobs covered, my worries were directed to Finn, our baby 3-striped mud turtle. He has been doing so well after we experienced a few previous losses so of course I was terrified what might happen if his tank got cold due to lack of power. We can't afford a generator or anything but I did purchase some type of an electrical backup unit that would only allow me to plug in his heater at least to keep him warm. That only worked for about 4 hours though. He did do well but it was really scary. The first thing I did was to cover his tank with a towel to keep in the heat. Is there anything else I can or should do in such a case if we lose power again. I can protect myself and my dogs with blankets and such but I do not think he will let me snuggle him until the power returns.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
what I have done during long power outages during the winter, after his tank cools down to a level I am uncomfortable with, is put a bunch of hand warmers in a dish bin, cover them with a towel, and put the turtle in there. Of course they don't like it, but it's made me feel a bit more comfortable during a power outage from a snowstorm.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
An ice chest might be a decent option since it's already insulated.

@Blackdog1714 Any suggestions?
An ice chest works both ways- to preserve cold or heat just not high heat temps. If you use a cooler then you would want to make absolutely sure that you have a vent in it. Maybe 1/2 inch PVC with 90's to make a U that would work. Check Craigslist as coolers get old and grungy and disposed of. Then when you add a couple of hand heat packs it would stay warm much longer.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I am glad Finn is doing well

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
theres nothing to worry about. you are in Tennessee, part of their native range. even leave it outdoors year around wouldn't be a problem

susieq450

Kodak
theres nothing to worry about. you are in Tennessee, part of their native range. even leave it outdoors year around wouldn't be a problem
But he is only a baby! 3 months old and still tiny! That worries me because I always hear how it is important to keep him warm.

susieq450

Kodak
I am glad Finn is doing well
Thank you so much!! Me too!! I was so worried for a while there but he is a bit of a piggy when eating as long as he gets his gormet food of salmon, scallops and shrimp! Hence the name Finn (finicky). He won't eat veggies at all or any pellets although I still offer them to him. I am just happy he is eating and thriving.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
But he is only a baby! 3 months old and still tiny! That worries me because I always hear how it is important to keep him warm.
Don’t worry . It’s not winter yet . Even in winter, as long as it’s indoors , couple days of no heat would be fine .

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Once I had 2 young Snappers In a fish bowl in the back unfinished part of our house and during a cold spell their water froze over on top. They were inactive but were fine when it thawed out. They are natives as mentioned and survive Winters just fine, Usually in hibernation buried somewhere.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thank you so much!! Me too!! I was so worried for a while there but he is a bit of a piggy when eating as long as he gets his gormet food of salmon, scallops and shrimp! Hence the name Finn (finicky). He won't eat veggies at all or any pellets although I still offer them to him. I am just happy he is eating and thriving.

Hi and welcome!
All I can think of right now is :
1)- take a latex glove and fill it with warm water and tie it off. Cover it with a face cloth and lay your tort on it .
Or
2)- if you have or can invest in a hot water bottle? That way the water in it will last a long time and stay warm for hours..
Good luck
So glad you are all doing well!! ??❤️