Scratched carapacial scutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
While outdoors today, our male Russian tortoise tried to squeak through a chain-link fence and scratched up a few scutes on his carapace. Is he going to be all right? Are his scutes going to heal fully, and how long will that take? Is there anything I should do to help him?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
My Sulcata has done that trying to squeeze under things Your tort will be alright. Not sure about healing time or if it will heal completely, I guess it would depend on how big and deep of a scratch it is..

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Seems pretty shallow. I don't think you can see the bone underneath or anything, but it's definitely a noticeable scuff mark on the keratin layer. I don't normally advocate using VitaShell, but should I use it to help heal a minor injury?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I will have to check my sulcata in the morning and see if the scratch is still there or if it is starting to fade, after the first couple days I stopped noticing it then I just forgot about it.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
A tortoise shell can take up to 2 years to fully repair, although the shell will never be the same as before,

I would not use Vitashell.

I would just clean with iodine and not to bathe that part of the shell as you don't need water getting under any of the other scutes and causing infection,

All this is depending on the damage, as I cannot see the damage,

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I think Yvonne is right, I just checked Vegas and the scratch is still there and I think it will take a while until its gone..

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Yeah the female russian I have scratched her self pretty good trying to burrow under the cinder block hide she was in. It's been about 3 weeks and it still looks the same.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Here is a picture of the dings to Mork's shell. He has three of them: one just behind his head, one on the left flank, and one on top. What do you think?
dscn2617s.jpg

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
I think you shouldn't worry at all. Both of my russians look like they were chew toys compared to yours.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I think its just superficial, I will show you a picture of Henri that was bitten by a dog, and hes still going strong at 66 :D:D:D:D
He is the smaller of the 2.

2lkw3k3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.