Screened in porch conversion!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I just finished converting half of my large screened in porch into a tortoise room! The room measures about 18.5 feet x 8 feet. I made this as a winter home for my newest Sulcata that I'm getting next weekend. He's about 16 inches. My current one is about 12. I will have to see if they can share, but will keep them separated for a few weeks before I introduce them. Then, I'll decide if cohabitation is a good idea. My current one is in the tort table I built that you can see if you look at my threads.

I framed the porch, insulated (double for the outside wall), put up plywood (even on the inside as drywall would be too weak), put down 3 inches of topsoil, added a grass area, a Cyprus mulch area with basking lamp (160W powersun), 4 florescent grow lights over the grass, a large hide area about 3.5 feet x 6.5 feet, a small hide about 2 feet by 3 feet, a heater with temperature control, timer for the grow lights and heat lamp, and ferns for extra enjoyment.

For no plan, and limited experience in all these areas, I'm pretty happy with the result. Please take a look.

http://s899.photobucket.com/albums/ac192/mrjorgensen109/Tortoise Room/

The link is to Photobucket that goes from the beginning of this project to now. There are 3 pages of pictures. They are pretty much in order from beginning to end. It took a couple of weekends and a lot of help from my father. I still have to trim the windows on the inside, but it is pretty much done.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WOW, that's some nice work. I hope they get along. Though, chances are they won't, so be prepared to split that between the two. You did a great job. They are lucky torts

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
wellington said:
WOW, that's some nice work. I hope they get along. Though, chances are they won't, so be prepared to split that between the two. You did a great job. They are lucky torts

LuckysGirl007 said:
Wow! Home sweet home!

Thank you both for the kind words. Hopefully, they'll love it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's really nice!

If I may suggest: Make a temporary tort spot for the new tortoise, that is NOT the new reptile room. You don't want either of the tortoises to already have claimed the new room as "their" territory, that way they don't have to defend it from the other tortoise when you put them together.

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
emysemys said:
That's really nice!

If I may suggest: Make a temporary tort spot for the new tortoise, that is NOT the new reptile room. You don't want either of the tortoises to already have claimed the new room as "their" territory, that way they don't have to defend it from the other tortoise when you put them together.

So, I haven't put my current guy in there yet. Should I do that now, before I get the new one this weekend? And are you saying to just section off a part to have him in for now? Then, have the new one in the other part and eventually remove the barrier? It'd be so much easier if they could live in the same enclosure, but want what is best for them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I believe emysemys is saying not to put either one in there until you have the new one long enough to have quarantined, 3-6 months, then put them in there at the same time. That way one will not fight the other for the space.

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
wellington said:
I believe emysemys is saying not to put either one in there until you have the new one long enough to have quarantined, 3-6 months, then put them in there at the same time. That way one will not fight the other for the space.

Ok, that makes sense after re-reading that.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Is the floor concrete, so it's waterproof?

It does sound like a good job to introduce the torts to that area at the same time so one won't think he/she is king of the hill!

Will they have access to the outside during good weather, or is this just for the colder months?

Lots of questions! You have done a wonderful job.

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
wow I'm actually quite impressed. are you sure you aren't a contractor? lol. awesome job. I like the fact that you went with plywood for the inside walls instead of drywall. that drywall would definitely not have lasted long.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Wow, what dedication. That is just awesome. When I come back from the dead, I want to come back as your tortoise..lol

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
lynnedit said:
Is the floor concrete, so it's waterproof?

It does sound like a good job to introduce the torts to that area at the same time so one won't think he/she is king of the hill!

Will they have access to the outside during good weather, or is this just for the colder months?

Lots of questions! You have done a wonderful job.

Yes, the floor is concrete. This is just their winter home as they have the backyard when it is warmer. And, Thanks.

volcom6981

5 Year Member
This is awesome! So im just wondering how that infered heater does out there? I was thinking of getting on of those, but i went with an oil filled radiator. Do you have yours on a T-stat, or on a timer of some sort. Great job!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
When I saw the various stages of your build, I wondered how much did it cost you, total? I have a carport that I'd like to convert to give my torts a larger place to roam during the cold months (which isn't much here in Florida). Btw, the enclosure is just fabulous!

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
MrJorgensen, your tort porch is really fantastic. Looked at your photos of the progression of the build out and you did a first class job! :D Love the natural looking green rug. (LOL) :tort:

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
volcom6981 said:
This is awesome! So im just wondering how that infered heater does out there? I was thinking of getting on of those, but i went with an oil filled radiator. Do you have yours on a T-stat, or on a timer of some sort. Great job!

The heater is doing well right now. The lows have gotten into the 40s and high 30s a couple of nights already. It has been doing well. It is made to heat a larger area and the insulation, and double insulation on the outer wall, seem to keep the heat in pretty well. It has a mode that just automatically adjusts to the temperature you set it to, like a little thermostat. It has 3 different energy outputs and has only been using the lowest one. I'm sure when the highs drop, it'll be working a little harder.

sibi said:
When I saw the various stages of your build, I wondered how much did it cost you, total? I have a carport that I'd like to convert to give my torts a larger place to roam during the cold months (which isn't much here in Florida). Btw, the enclosure is just fabulous!

The total cost has been around $1,200-$1,300. It could easily have been double if I chose different plywood, windows, doors, etc. I tried to find what would work, but shopped around the local stores to get the best price. I've not got an exact figure yet. I saved a lot being able to do this project myself. I've not figured the beer and pizza it cost to get my dad to help in that price. :)

janevicki said:
MrJorgensen, your tort porch is really fantastic. Looked at your photos of the progression of the build out and you did a first class job! :D Love the natural looking green rug. (LOL) :tort:

The natural looking green rug is actual grass. I've got grow lights above it to help keep it thriving. I was getting a lot of funny looks buying the grow lights and a bunch of planting supplies. But, hey, all for the torts! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.