SCUBA????

TerrapinStation

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit, Michigan
Any divers on TFO?

Signing up to get open water certification, wanted to see if there are any other tortoise enthusiasts in the water.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my. I'm not a big water fan. The closest I get to underwater is watching it on TV.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I a diver. Been snorkeling since I was 13 back in the 80's and got certified at 18. NAUI Open water I and PADI Advanced. I was almost done with Dive Master and headed toward instructor, but I just didn't need it for anything and my career went a different direction. Now I just dive for fun.

I love being under the water and my daughter is the same way. She's like a fish.

Realize that your first few dives will be VERY uncomfortable and no fun. The gear is cumbersome, that water is cold, vis is usually bad where new divers are "getting their feet wet", but I promise, stick with it and by dive 5 or 6, it gets AMAZING!

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
I got my PADI open water training in the Gulf of Thailand and it was wonderful. @Tom's right, getting used to the equipment takes a while. Twenty-plus years ago, the equipment was way heavier than me. I would throw the tanks into the water and then put them on. Warm, clear water is definitely a plus. I've heard that PNG (Papua New Guinea) has one of the world's best diving spots.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh I so wish. I snorkel and love it. I don't know if I could scuba, I have a fear of drowning. Not sure why or how really, I have always swam like a fish myself. Love snorkeling and do it with little problems, as long as I can either stand or grab ahold of something once I stop. Good luck, enjoy, and always have a buddy with you.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Good stuff, thanks everybody.

Somehow I knew Tom would be a diver..... jack of all trades......

I have always been a water person- love to swim, snorkel, kayak, fish and lay on the beach! Scuba just seems like the next logical step.

I am used to the cold water, being a crazy Michigan boy, we swim from early may till early November as long as there is no ice!

Very interested in the nature aspect, as well as the historical. We have a lot of shipwrecks on the great lakes that are diving hotspots, as well as dive clubs that do cleanups and pull trash out from the lakes.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm a diver!
Although, almost all of my diving experience has been in giant aquariums to clean the fake coral and hand feed leopard sharks.

I have some left ear issues from a dive drill I did (or should I say didn't do very well) off the Catalina Island.

And I had to tattoo my eyebrows after wearing my mask for 3hours a day/ 5days a week/ for 4 years caused half of my eyebrow hair to disappear. LOL

Permanent memories of my diving days. :)

I don't miss diving in open water but I'd do the tank dives again in a heart beat :) and kids, don't tap on the glass....We hate that! Haha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm a diver!
Although, almost all of my diving experience has been in giant aquariums to clean the fake coral and hand feed leopard sharks.

I have some left ear issues from a dive drill I did (or should I say didn't do very well) off the Catalina Island.

And I had to tattoo my eyebrows after wearing my mask for 3hours a day/ 5days a week/ for 4 years caused half of my eyebrow hair to disappear. LOL

Permanent memories of my diving days. :)

I don't miss diving in open water but I'd do the tank dives again in a heart beat :) and kids, don't tap on the glass....We hate that! Haha

That is just awesome.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm a diver too. I love it! Open water/Advanced and enriched air. I learned to dive here in Oregon so I feel like I can dive anywhere. Hawaii was a real treat.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
That is just awesome.

You've seen me, you couldn't tell that by brows were tattooed, right? LOL :rolleyes:

When I tell people I have tattooed eyebrows, I'm afraid they'll think I look awful with dark, ugly lines on my face!! But they don't look like that. No-one can even tell and when my friends find out, they always pull me in for a close up to confirm!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You've seen me, you couldn't tell that by brows were tattooed, right? LOL :rolleyes:

When I tell people I have tattooed eyebrows, I'm afraid they'll think I look awful with dark, ugly lines on my face!! But they don't look like that. No-one can even tell and when my friends find out, they always pull me in for a close up to confirm!

No. I didn't notice.