Scute distortion. MBD??? HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygoh

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Far far away.....!
I have been wondering why my tort scute is distorted in direction from the top view of its shell. The last scute at the rear end seems sway towards right side which keep me puzzle. Is there a sign of MBD and any ways that i can do to improve before it get worse. Please help maestro torts here. He is 5" and weight at 580gram.

Picture as link below. Advice needed.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x409/tygohd/th_IMG00128-20111223-1556.jpg

tygoh

5 Year Member
Far far away.....!
http://s1180.photobucket.com/albums/x409/tygohd/?action=view&current=IMG00128-20111223-1556.jpg

IMG00128-20111223-1556.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have one similar to that. It just happens sometimes. I think when they start out with that, the pyramiding can exaggerate it. It does not indicate MBD necessarily. Unless your torts get no sunshine, no calcium supplementation, no indoor UV, and a poor diet, I doubt you have MBD. Since the pic is outside and they are eating hibiscus, I seriously doubt that MBD is a concern for you.

tygoh

5 Year Member
Far far away.....!
If it is pyramiding, any possibilities that the scute will be corrected by nature as time passes by. I am keeping him outside 24/7, meaning no worries on the sunshine and diet. Been feeding him opuntia, hibiscus and romaine lettuce once awhile and regularly he grazes at his own grassland (bermuda grass). The humidity is 70-80%, and for the calcium supplementation, i started to give them cuttlefish bone, since the past i have been using Rep-Cal calcium powder that sprinkle on their diet occasionally. I have a couple of leos in my yard, and just him has such issue. Hmmm.......

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
There is something going on with his shell. I see areas between the scutes that aren't growing at the same rate as the others. This could result in "leaning scutes" eventually, as well as an odd shape to the shell. Personally, I think this is caused by too little nutrition, or something lacking in his diet. It can be difficult to get those non-growing areas back to normal Can you get mazuri where you live? I think that may help.

tygoh

5 Year Member
Far far away.....!
I too think of getting mazuri, but it is not available where i come from. All other leos are doing great, and it is just this is being exceptional. He is eating like lawning the grass but....i am speechless why he is as such.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
where are you at? If you are willing to pay shipping... a few members here sell Mazuri by the pound... might give it a try..

tygoh

5 Year Member
Far far away.....!
I have checked that too, the singapore dealer only selling 25lbs which is too much for my 5" torts to consume. Besides, the shipping charges, import tax duty and custom clearance is a lot of hassle and trouble. At the end, still clueless where to get them.

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Would u like me to send u a pack from hk? 1lbs = hk$168, can fedex to u? Pls PM me if interested. Sorry not cheap here either :(

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I would deff try the mazuri and up the water sprays on his shell if you can, my sully had a sticky scute that was growing crooked for a while, after he started out one the mazuri regularley the new growth has straighten the scute out.

tygoh

5 Year Member
Far far away.....!
I am dying to look for mazuri tortoise diet at Malaysia so badly too! I feel very sad when see my tort as such condition.

Sammy - Thanks for your offer but i am much worried about importing from oversea, due to local custom clearance and import duty etc.

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
I have a relative in Malaysia, I send her snacks and things via fedex, never had problems before. Maybe it's more strict now. I was thinking of sending her some stuff and wrap a pack of Mazuri with it. You can pick it up from her over there. Just a suggestion, it's ok:)

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
So many worries:)
I forgot Malaysia is very big, if u are wiling to pickup near china town, I can pack some of my zoo med pallets, sample packs of reptivite vitamin powder, Mazuri for you all free. Let your tortoise try it first, he might not even like it :p

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Yep, they both eat it but Mazuri more. They polish it off real quick! But I only give them Mazuri 3 x a week with supplement power, used reptivite before but now switched to Repashy + calcium ( a sprinkle). They don't like the zoomed much but some tortoise loves it. U can mix it with veggie or weeds. Best if u search/read this forum as there's much information to learn from. Anyway, do u want it? PM me, I will send it to the office on Monday, let u know when/where to pickup from. Not generous, just got spares.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-mazuri-V-S-zoomed-grassland#axzz1ihXcVxrp

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Mazuri-VS-ZOOMED-Grassland-Tortoise-Food#axzz1ihXcVxrp[hr]
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Mazuri-VS-Zoo-Med-VS-Red-Stick--30432#axzz1ihXcVxrp

I want to try the 'Red Stick' but shipping from USA is too expensive. Anyway, enjoy reading these :)

Status
Not open for further replies.