Scute rubbed away

Alisha Hawkins

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hey there!
Whilst bathing my boy today I noticed one little part above his leg was a lighter cream colour than the rest. Out of curiosity I rubbed the other side thinking it may be a build up of dirt.

Upon researching, I feel like this may have been keratin. I'm now questioning if this might be shell rot or not. I'm under the impression that it's not usual for a scute to just rub away like this and I can't think of any other reason so id really appreciate a second opinion.

The shell isn't soft to the touch and nowhere else looks like this, I am just very confused by this.

Thankyou so much.

@Yvonne G i think you may have addressed similar situations before?

IMG_20201206_001810.jpg

IMG_20201206_001648.jpgIMG_20201206_001732.jpg

Alisha Hawkins

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Can you include pictures of the all enclosures where the tort walks?

AH! I'VE FOUND IT! Paid extra attention while he was walking around today and he hits that part of his shell on the entrance to his humid hide. Every. Time.

The wood on the corner of the doorway/opening is even a little worn away! So thanks for the suggestion :)

I also can't believe he just ploughs into it from both directions, I'll make the doorway a little bigger tomorrow and sand the corners down in the hopes that it helps.

He doesn't seem to react to it though, I thought that it would've hurt him? ?

Connie

5 Year Member
AH! I'VE FOUND IT! Paid extra attention while he was walking around today and he hits that part of his shell on the entrance to his humid hide. Every. Time.

The wood on the corner of the doorway/opening is even a little worn away! So thanks for the suggestion :)

I also can't believe he just ploughs into it from both directions, I'll make the doorway a little bigger tomorrow and sand the corners down in the hopes that it helps.

He doesn't seem to react to it though, I thought that it would've hurt him? ?
Does that type of thing heal completely??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. It will always be that way.