Sea turtle conservancy in thailand

Gabriel Mattei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Thailand
So on my holidays i am privileged enough to work at a marine sea turtle conservancy sanctuary in Phuket. To start off the sanctuary works with green sea turtles except for the rescue area. So today was my first day working, the sanctuary has over 400 sea turtles at the moment as they releases just about 150. I am working with 3 thai biologist that only speak thai so i have to manage with my thai. The Navy does something called "Turtle hearing", basically in Phuket the turtles used to lay on the mainland but because of the tourist attraction and hotels which occupie most beaches the turtles are forced to lay on islands nearby Phuket. The navy basically has a team on the island that hears the turtles when they climb into the beach to lay there eggs, they then transport the eggs into containers filled with sand and wait until they hatch. They are then sent to the sanctuary where the turtles are raised till they are a reasonable size to be released. As you guys must know that 2 sea turtles out of 1000 will survive through adulthood but if they raise them to be about 1 year old when there shell are nice and hard it is believed that there is a 50% chance for them to survive after data collection from the biologist. So i asked them "wow that is a big difference is there any possibility that there might be too much in the future?". They said that sadly there isn't because of climate change, the sea turtles are sex determined and the climate is getting hotter, the sanctuary and the navy do not have the equipment to incubate hundreds of sea turtles so they use the climate that is given to them. They said that in the future if we don't have the money to incubate them there is not much hope for them. There is also a rescue shelter in the marine biology centre of phuket where a incredible number of 50 adult olive sea turtles cannot be released because of fishing. their flipper get stuck in the nets which causes infections which then leads to amputation or even direct rapture of the flippers. Rescues are mostly olive turtles. I will update this thread this everyday until friday. They even had an albino sea turtle! Will get better pictures tomorrow! I will especially get better photos of those hatchlings because they are so cute!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4440 (1).jpg
    IMG_4440 (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4442.jpg
    IMG_4442.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4435.jpg
    IMG_4435.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4434.jpg
    IMG_4434.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4440.jpg
    IMG_4440.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4433.jpg
    IMG_4433.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4431.jpg
    IMG_4431.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4430.jpg
    IMG_4430.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4427 (1).jpg
    IMG_4427 (1).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4428.jpg
    IMG_4428.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4420.jpg
    IMG_4420.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4421.jpg
    IMG_4421.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4427.jpg
    IMG_4427.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4429.jpg
    IMG_4429.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

Piña

nyc
Lots of hawksbill turtles, my favorite. Do you know any more about how the navy "hears" them? It's not the easiest thing to do as the sound of a wave breaking and a turtle coming out of the water are very similar. Especially at night, you can walk right past one and have no idea. Are they using some type of equipment ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, you are very lucky. Glad to see someone is doing what I have been saying for years. Raise them up for a year or more then release them and give them a better chance of surviving. Thanks for sharing you lucky person.

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
So on my holidays i am privileged enough to work at a marine sea turtle conservancy sanctuary in Phuket. To start off the sanctuary works with green sea turtles except for the rescue area. So today was my first day working, the sanctuary has over 400 sea turtles at the moment as they releases just about 150. I am working with 3 thai biologist that only speak thai so i have to manage with my thai. The Navy does something called "Turtle hearing", basically in Phuket the turtles used to lay on the mainland but because of the tourist attraction and hotels which occupie most beaches the turtles are forced to lay on islands nearby Phuket. The navy basically has a team on the island that hears the turtles when they climb into the beach to lay there eggs, they then transport the eggs into containers filled with sand and wait until they hatch. They are then sent to the sanctuary where the turtles are raised till they are a reasonable size to be released. As you guys must know that 2 sea turtles out of 1000 will survive through adulthood but if they raise them to be about 1 year old when there shell are nice and hard it is believed that there is a 50% chance for them to survive after data collection from the biologist. So i asked them "wow that is a big difference is there any possibility that there might be too much in the future?". They said that sadly there isn't because of climate change, the sea turtles are sex determined and the climate is getting hotter, the sanctuary and the navy do not have the equipment to incubate hundreds of sea turtles so they use the climate that is given to them. They said that in the future if we don't have the money to incubate them there is not much hope for them. There is also a rescue shelter in the marine biology centre of phuket where a incredible number of 50 adult olive sea turtles cannot be released because of fishing. their flipper get stuck in the nets which causes infections which then leads to amputation or even direct rapture of the flippers. Rescues are mostly olive turtles. I will update this thread this everyday until friday. They even had an albino sea turtle! Will get better pictures tomorrow! I will especially get better photos of those hatchlings because they are so cute!!!!!!

That's pretty amazing, I am so jealous!
Love your pics, Thanks for sharing!