Sea turtle poachers kidnap young conservationist

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Sea turtle poachers kidnapped young conservationist Jairo Mora Sandoval last May in Costa Rica. The next morning, his body was found on the beach where he had worked to protect endangered leatherback sea turtles. Thanks to you and more than 165,000 other concerned citizens,Turtle Island Restoration Network delivered a petition to the Costa Rican government demanding justice for Jairo. Arrests were made shortly thereafter.

Yesterday, Costa Rican prosecutors finally filed murder charges against the seven men arrested six months ago. A trial date will be set in the next couple of months, and the trial will be public. Read more https://seaturtles.org/newssection/prosecutors-file-murder-charges-jairo-moras-alleged-killers/ . We will keep you posted as new developments occur.
With leatherbacks already pushed to the brink of extinction by driftnet and longline fishing, nesting turtles need protection from illegal killing and poaching of their eggs. And the dedicated conservationists who patrol nesting beaches and reach sea turtle nests before poachers continue to need our support to ensure the survival of these gentle giant sea turtles and the safety of nest monitors.
http://tinyurl.com/ozuhkxl

http://tinyurl.com/ozuhkxl

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
That is a sad story for both the boy and the leatherbacks but a fine read Ken!! Once again......Thank you for sharing it.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
The only good from this is the bad guys were caught and hopefully the parent country is not so corrupt that a real trial with proper punishment is the result.
I wish things like this were on the evening news instead of which celebrity is headed to rehab. Richest nation, and the majority of us are ostriches. Think of the monies that could be donated if no Americans went to Disneyland for a year and instead donated to these programs…
Climbing down now, next?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I was down there during this event. Was all over the news channels there. Sad indeed. A couple of the preserves I help with down there have much different standards while protecting the beach. Unfortunately the ones that voice and pursue aggression towards people on the beach end up in situations like this. Seems like the authorities didn't do much in our eyes. But I had a long evening with the senior biologist of playa tortuga preserve about this. The municipality system there is severely underfunded and takes very long to process orders like charges and penal system processes. It gets tricky. But none the less the new president down there is in huge favor of conservation and has banned line net fishing off the shores of CR. The problem is nations like Nicaragua has no order in laws for such things, so it trickles down to Costa Rica. Sad indeed. I remember this incident like it was last week. Was sad being so close to such tragedy. Thanks for posting.

Whayla

A terrible tragedy indeed, but I also hope the men receive their karma in the near trials. Thank you for sharing this information, although sad, it is good for everyone to stay educated. Will look forward to reading the trial outcomes.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
A terrible tragedy indeed, but I also hope the men receive their karma in the near trials. Thank you for sharing this information, although sad, it is good for everyone to stay educated. Will look forward to reading the trial outcomes.
Unfortunately, I may not get the information of the trail outcome unless it is an disproportionally light sentence for a conviction.

Colorado
How can people do this? Some people have no heart:( My gratitude to the young man trying to save the turtles! :<3::<3::tort::tort:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
This kind of stuff really makes me mad as hell . I just can't understand why people think it's necessary to take and take from our land without putting anything back . Raping the land for profit is going to kill us all very slowly. This man died for something good and that is honorable. The men that did this should have the same fate as the man that died doing the right thing.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I don't suppose anybody heard what the punishment was ?
Not really expecting that anyone did, but you never know.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal

nextut

Singapore
Good for nothing poachers! Just a waste of air space! Should have been on the death row for all the turtles they killed!