Sealant for plywood enclosure

SupaDupaTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton
Hi there. We are using a plywood enclosure for our two 5 month old hermann tortoises. The wood is completely untreated and is already starting to get damp/moldy. I have emptied it, cleaned it and dried it out and am now looking in to some kind of non-toxic sealant. A few questions if anyone has a moment to share their knowledge:
- what do you use to seal your wooden enclosures (in the uk) to stop them absorbing water and waste (our local DIY shop said maybe rustins Danish oil which is food safe for humans)?
- do you line the bottom of the enclosure with plastic? Is this safe even though they like burrowing?
- what substrates would you recommend for baby hermann tortoises
- I want to clear away poos to stop the enclosure getting dirty. how do you tell where your tortoises are pooing? The topsoil we're using is lumpy so it's impossible to locate the poos!
Thanks so much in advance for your time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just repaired a rotted out wooden enclosure bottom yesterday afternoon, so this is fresh in my mind.

Some people use plastic liners. These leak and get torn up over time.

Some people use various paint or sealants, these all break down over time and the bottom rots out, like mine did. I had three coats of DryLok on it. I noticed a problem a few months ago with some sagging, and the bottom actually fell out yesterday.

Only recently have I found something that I think will work, but I haven't used it yet. http://www.pondarmor.com

I wouldn't use any kind of oil or water seal product. They won't hold up long term and the fumes could be bad in a small closed environment. The pond shield product linked above is totally water proof and completely non-toxic once cured. People use it to make large aquariums out of plywood. Even saltwater aquariums.

SupaDupaTortoise

Brighton
I just repaired a rotted out wooden enclosure bottom yesterday afternoon, so this is fresh in my mind.

Some people use plastic liners. These leak and get torn up over time.

Some people use various paint or sealants, these all break down over time and the bottom rots out, like mine did. I had three coats of DryLok on it. I noticed a problem a few months ago with some sagging, and the bottom actually fell out yesterday.

Only recently have I found something that I think will work, but I haven't used it yet. http://www.pondarmor.com

I wouldn't use any kind of oil or water seal product. They won't hold up long term and the fumes could be bad in a small closed environment. The pond shield product linked above is totally water proof and completely non-toxic once cured. People use it to make large aquariums out of plywood. Even saltwater aquariums.

Thank you so much Tom for taking the time to share your knowledge - sounds like a great solution!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I used this product for the bottom of my enclosure. It is non-toxic and comes in different colors. It probably has the same qualities as what Tom suggested. Just thought I would put it out there to share https://liquidrubber.ca/

Thanks for posting this. How is it working out in your enclosure? Is it rubber or rubber-like?

The pond shield is basically the same epoxy that would be see for fiberglass. It cures into a tough, hard, slick, plastic-like surface. I'm wondering what your product cures into.

Zackius

5 Year Member
New Orleans, Louisiana
Liquid rubber is more rubber like. When it cures it has a slight rubber like feel to it. Application was easy. So far the product is holding up well.

I do like the fact that pond shield cures into a hard, slick , plastic like surface. It seems being hard and slick would be easier for cleaning and changing the substrate.