Seaweed as a part of my tortoise's diet

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Good morning TFO,

A month or two ago, I read a post somewhere on the forums about Aldabras gnoshing on seaweed, and it got me thinking about the possible benefits of adding it to my redfoot Darwin's diet.

I'm a big believer in 'feeding the rainbow' (i.e. - providing as much variety over the course of a month as is possible, in terms of color and texture), and prior to this, all of Darwin's food had been terrestrial; adding oceanic food seemed a good way to increase the diversity of nutrients and in particular micronutrients.

91To0bUecrL._SL1500_.jpg

I did some reading and web-surfing and settled on THIS variety and source and brand of seaweed. It's relatively local, has no additional ingredients/preservatives, is easy to use, and despite the seemingly high price tag is pretty cost-efficient ($15 for a 4oz bag, that at my current rate of consumption will last well over a year, possibly two).

I rehydrate a scant teaspoon in warm water once a week to mix in with his daily meal. When hydrated, it turns a pleasing dark emerald green color and has a slightly salty/earthy taste and vaguely rubbery-lettuce texture. Darwin always seeks it out, either by smell or sight, and picks through his meal to get it first when served each week.

713PHtwldLL._SL1027_.jpg

The C:p ratio is good and it has a fair amount of vitamin A as well, but I think nutrients/micronutrients that might not occur, or only occur in miniscule quantities, in the terrestrially-based foods I give him (like Iodine) are where the addition of seaweed is worthwhile in Darwin's diet.

I don't think it's necessary to include seaweed in any tortoise's diet, but I similarly can't see how it could hurt, and I'm interested to hear from the thoughtful and knowledgeable minds here on TFO.

Thanks,

Jamie (and Darwin)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of your reasoning is sound here. I see no potential for problems, and the potential for numerous benefits.

I agree with you. Lots of variety. Small amounts of this mixed in once in a while seems a good way to add variety and micronutrients.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
What are your feelings about the salt content? No opinion, just curious. That’s the only question I would have.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
What are your feelings about the salt content? No opinion, just curious. That’s the only question I would have.

My thinking is that with the seaweed as only a small part of the diet, and so long as there's plenty of water available, the salt content shouldn't be a problem ... I would, however, advise against using seaweed in place of all greens though (or even as more than a fraction of the tortoise's diet).

Good question!

Jamie

Reactions: Tom

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Everything is possible with a varied diet!

Cuttlebone is from the same place as seaweed and we don’t hesitate to feed that; it’s full of mineral salts in addition to calcium.

Let us know when Darwin has a breakfast of seaweed and lemons; that guy loves everything. :)

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

Cuttlebone is from the same place as seaweed and we don’t hesitate to feed that; it’s full of mineral salts in addition to calcium.

Let us know when Darwin has a breakfast of seaweed and lemons; that guy loves everything. :)

I gave him some canned olives last week after seeing promising nutritional information on a website:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

He seemed to like them.

J

Autiwara

Norway
I’ve heard people that eat a lot of kale (which is high in goitrogens and prevent the thyroids uptake of iodine) eat seaweed which is high in iodine to prevent hypothyroidism, I’m wondering myself if I should start feeding seaweed so I can feed kale without worrying lol

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I’ve heard people that eat a lot of kale (which is high in goitrogens and prevent the thyroids uptake of iodine) eat seaweed which is high in iodine to prevent hypothyroidism, I’m wondering myself if I should start feeding seaweed so I can feed kale without worrying lol

I love seaweed salad, as does my tort.

J

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My only real concern is the salt. I honestly don't know how well they get rid of extra salt

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member

I’m sorry ! I haven’t given my torts cuddlebone in about 17 years . I prefer egg shells less salt content !

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Good morning TFO,

A month or two ago, I read a post somewhere on the forums about Aldabras gnoshing on seaweed, and it got me thinking about the possible benefits of adding it to my redfoot Darwin's diet.

I'm a big believer in 'feeding the rainbow' (i.e. - providing as much variety over the course of a month as is possible, in terms of color and texture), and prior to this, all of Darwin's food had been terrestrial; adding oceanic food seemed a good way to increase the diversity of nutrients and in particular micronutrients.

91To0bUecrL._SL1500_.jpg

I did some reading and web-surfing and settled on THIS variety and source and brand of seaweed. It's relatively local, has no additional ingredients/preservatives, is easy to use, and despite the seemingly high price tag is pretty cost-efficient ($15 for a 4oz bag, that at my current rate of consumption will last well over a year, possibly two).

I rehydrate a scant teaspoon in warm water once a week to mix in with his daily meal. When hydrated, it turns a pleasing dark emerald green color and has a slightly salty/earthy taste and vaguely rubbery-lettuce texture. Darwin always seeks it out, either by smell or sight, and picks through his meal to get it first when served each week.

713PHtwldLL._SL1027_.jpg

The C:p ratio is good and it has a fair amount of vitamin A as well, but I think nutrients/micronutrients that might not occur, or only occur in miniscule quantities, in the terrestrially-based foods I give him (like Iodine) are where the addition of seaweed is worthwhile in Darwin's diet.

I don't think it's necessary to include seaweed in any tortoise's diet, but I similarly can't see how it could hurt, and I'm interested to hear from the thoughtful and knowledgeable minds here on TFO.

Thanks,

Jamie (and Darwin)
This is a red foot we are talking about. They eat all sorts of stuff. Surely invertebrates contain a small amount of salt?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I don't understand your post,or you didn't understand mine... the addition of seaweed is not for salt but for other micronutrients sometimes lacking in a tortoise's diet, like iodine.

Jamie