Second Guessing

Status
Not open for further replies.

10mm

5 Year Member
Hey,
My name is Jeff I am from southern MN. I have recently decided that I would like to purchase a tortoise for my 4 year old son. I would really be the one taking care of it. But I was hoping to teach him and share the fun in raising a pet. I have done a bit of reading and then more reading and calling some pet stores and Herp sellers I found online. Now after all this I am second guessing my decision and will be lurking around the forums in an attempt to gain the proper information to decide if this is right for our family and if it will be a good home for a tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jeff, and welcome to the Forum!!

It might be a fun experience for you and your son to set up and plant an outdoor habitat for a tortoise. Some "together" time. I realize that your winters are pretty extreme and the tortoise wouldn't be outside during the winter. A nice big tort table for winter time would be good.

A steppe tortoise (russian) is a good first tortoise and they are pretty forgiving of poor care while the new keeper is learning. A plus in their favor is that they hibernate during the winter. Or if you want, you can keep them up and indoors.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the right choice.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hi & welcome. I hope that this sight can help you find the answers you are looking for. I am raising three children and three tortoises and I think the tortoises have added so much to our lives. My eldest child is in the 4H reptile club and spends a good portion of the year participating in educational reptile shows. My middle child who is six loves showing her class and daisy troop our tortoises. A word of warning it is unlikely anyone here would talk you out of getting a tortoise :D.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I honestly think that geting a tortoise would be a good way to spend time with your son. You can teach him about gardening by making an outdoor pen for the warm summer months, and you can teach him some handyman skills by having him "help" with building the tortoise table. I honestly think this might be a good idea as long as you understand that you will be caring for the tort for quite a few years before your son can completely take over. This will also help your son have a friend for life.

10mm

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome and the replies all. I appreciate your advice. I have so many concerns about raising a tortoise. First off, Of course I want a smaller tortoise since it would be living in my house for many months out of the year. i was hoping to keep the Tortoise set up in my sons room 12x12. I am wondering if all the heating fixtures will make his room really hot? Will it be stinky? My son sleeps with the light on will this bother a Tortoise? I would like to get him a baby tortoise so he can watch it grow. I have learned about the 4" and under laws or whatever but when I look online it would seem that people are selling turtles much smaller than 4". Is this 4" and under thing the typical government creating ridiculous laws or is there a legitimate reason. Other than (your child may put it in his mouth and then contract diseases or viruses)? I do have a garden that is 16x8 and already enclosed. However.... it is full of black dirt. We get really crazy temp swings in MN. Even in the Summer. Do you leave the tortoise outside in his garden at night? How big of a table would I need indoors to accommodate a small species of tortoise? Is it O.K. to start with a smaller table and then increase the size as it gets bigger? How fast do they grow?

I know a ton of questions but I have read so many contradicting ways to care for them that I am now just overwhelmed with info. Why do the small tortoises that I look at online look so colorful and defined but when I go to the pet store they look dull and sickly? Sorry for all the questions but I want to know what I am getting myself into before I make a bad decision?

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
First of all I would suggest a Russian, Greek or Hermann. They star small and are relatively easy to care for. I would not keep it in your son's room though. The 4 inch rule is because children put turtles and tortoises in their mouths and got sick, it also only applies to commercial sellers. If you get a baby a 40 gallon long aquarium is a good start but an adult would need at least a 4 foot by 2 foot enclosure, bigger is better.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The ones in the stores don't look as nice, because they aren't getting the same level of care that a personal caretaker can give to them (such as what you will be doing). They are usually under a great deal of stress housed in public places too.

My bedrom is the only room in the house where I have no turtles or tortoises. The reason being is I like a cool unheated bedroom. So yes it will raise the temps in his room a bit, but not a lot (unless he is like me). His light unless it is really bright won't bother (or atleast should not) the tortoises. Most nights the tortoise would probally be going into his own hide (house) to sleep. The smell there is a slight smell, more an earthy smell is how I describe it. I notice it more with fresh substrate or just after I add water to it. It's the substrate that I think gives the smell, so what you choose to use will influence that. Bowel movements are easy to pick up, and remove. They remind me sorta of tiny tootsie rolls. I will warn you, often the tortoise will eat his own stool. Also daily take out the left over food and change water in his dish and you should be fine.

Russians are great starter tortoises and I would suggest getting an older one. Hatchlings aren't quite so tuff or "child proof". Tortoises can be fast and can be escape artists, so make his enclosure one he can't get out of. Normally that means either a lip or a lid. Never take him outside for sunshine and then turn your back on him "for just a minute", he will be hidden even if still in the same spot you left him in. :D

You may want to bring him in at night or fix him an outside house you lock him up in at night for safe keeping. Mine I leave out 24/7 once temps are good. If it gets too hot, they dig in. Too cold, they dig in. The main worry is cold and wet.

There is a loop hole in the 4" law, which is why the breeders of a few tortoises can get away with selling small animals. The main thing is to remember to wash your hands after touching the tortoise and his equipment. No kissing or placing the tortoise or his things or water into your mouth. Keep the tortoise's enclosure and items clean. Don't have the tortoise or his things in areas where you do food preparation.

10mm

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for your opinions and knowledge. I think I have enough info to proceed with our decision. We like the Hermanns. Now I just need to find one.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
I think you and your 4 yr old son getting a tort is an awesome idea! Spending quality time together, teaching him responsibility and the love for animals. Something the two of you can share for many, many years to come! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.