Second opinion on my Russian's health. Please help

MasonSwart

Location (City and/or State)
Clio,MI
I am pretty sure my young Russian is good to go but would just like to know if you guys can see anything in any of the photos you would concern yourselves with?? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance looking forward to hearing from you guys and your opinions!!

IMG_0016.JPG IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0024.JPG IMG_0025.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mason, and welcome to the Forum!

The tortoise looks fine, but in order to keep her looking that way, why don't you show us pictures of her habitat and tell us about her lighting and what you're feeding her.

MasonSwart

Clio,MI
i have her in a 50 gallon tote using a 150 watt basking bulb and i think my uvb is a 15 watt with coconut coir as bedding have a nice large water dish but not to big so she cant drown and feed her a good sized pile of spinach and baby kale with calcium powder once a day.

martaemha

5 Year Member
Poland
Spinach is not an appropriate food for tortoises as it contains a whole lot of oxalates. This chemical compound is combined with calcium in tort's organism and turns into calcium oxalate. This makes calcium (essential for healthy bones, carapace and plastron ) completely useless because calcium oxalate is discharged with urine. Additionally calcium oxalate may be harmful for the kidneys as it blocks renal tubes, which in turn may lead to kidney stones. You can only feed your tort spinach occasionally and in small amounts.
Also, what you are feeding him is a mono diet. It is not enough to feed your tort two types of greens to keep him healthy. Please look for info concerning Russian tort's diet. For now you should look for some romaine lettuce, red and green leaf lettuce, endive, escarole, chicory, radicchio, turnip greens, mustard greens, collards, hibiscus, dandelions, mallow, plantain, hen and chicks, californian poppy etc. This is just the beginning of the list - there are many more good choices that will be healthy for your tort. And once again: variety is the key.