Seed Mixes Possible to Freeze?

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I just bought some seed mix, from two places actually.

One is 6oz from a respected supplier, the other 1/4oz from Etsy, and might be reputable. The first is way too much. Can the seeds be frozen in an average freezer for years if need be? Or should I just keep the unknown 1/4oz and cancel the 6oz?

Thanks.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Sure you can freeze the seeds, but you could also put them in an airtight container (super dry) and store them away like you would a spice. Out of the light/sunshine and away from moisture. Ive had weed & flower seeds both loose & in packs saved for years that grow once given the right conditions.

➡➡https://extension.umn.edu/planting-and-growing-guides/saving-vegetable-seeds

Keeping your saved seeds
Store seeds in tightly sealed glass containers. You can store different kinds of seeds, each in individual paper packets, together in a large container. Keep seeds dry and cool. A temperature between 32° and 41°F is ideal, so your refrigerator can be a good place to store seeds.

A small amount of silica-gel desiccant added to each container will absorb moisture from the air and help keep the seeds dry. Craft supply stores sell silica gel in bulk for drying flowers.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Sure you can freeze the seeds, but you could also put them in an airtight container (super dry) and store them away like you would a spice. Out of the light/sunshine and away from moisture. Ive had weed & flower seeds both loose & in packs saved for years that grow once given the right conditions.

➡➡https://extension.umn.edu/planting-and-growing-guides/saving-vegetable-seeds

Keeping your saved seeds
Store seeds in tightly sealed glass containers. You can store different kinds of seeds, each in individual paper packets, together in a large container. Keep seeds dry and cool. A temperature between 32° and 41°F is ideal, so your refrigerator can be a good place to store seeds.

A small amount of silica-gel desiccant added to each container will absorb moisture from the air and help keep the seeds dry. Craft supply stores sell silica gel in bulk for drying flowers.
Thank you for this information. I plan to do this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just keep my seeds cool and dry. I've never frozen them. Except for rose seeds. They need to be frozen to germinate, so I've read...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I just bought some seed mix, from two places actually.

One is 6oz from a respected supplier, the other 1/4oz from Etsy, and might be reputable. The first is way too much. Can the seeds be frozen in an average freezer for years if need be? Or should I just keep the unknown 1/4oz and cancel the 6oz?

Thanks.
Hello. I'm not really an expert on this but I do know that some seeds need to overwinter. It would depend on what kind of seed it is. I've used the refrigerator in one of the veggie drawers for that. I've even kept date seeds in it until I'm ready to start them. I'm pretty sure a 1 year freezing won't hurt with the right seeds.?

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
It ultimately depends on what seeds you have. Different species of plants have different requirements for storage and germination. Cool, but not freezing, and dry is generally good for most small seeds that don't have any fancy requirements to make them start.

30 years ago I worked with a guy who developed a lot of the information on how to propagate many of the native plants in this area (Ontario). Some of thing things you need to do to store and then break dormancy make for fairly deep rabbit hole to go down, particularly with trees and shrubs, but they're not things you'll ever see in a seed mix.

Quixx66

Louisiana
It ultimately depends on what seeds you have. Different species of plants have different requirements for storage and germination. Cool, but not freezing, and dry is generally good for most small seeds that don't have any fancy requirements to make them start.

30 years ago I worked with a guy who developed a lot of the information on how to propagate many of the native plants in this area (Ontario). Some of thing things you need to do to store and then break dormancy make for fairly deep rabbit hole to go down, particularly with trees and shrubs, but they're not things you'll ever see in a seed mix.
Thank you!