seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Last summer, I bought some seeds from Carolina Pet supply, Will they still be good this summer or will I have to buy new ones?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They always sprout best when they are fresh, but as long as the bugs haven't eaten them, I'd go ahead and plant them. You usually don't have to wait until summer. They will sprout now.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
emysemys said:
They always sprout best when they are fresh, but as long as the bugs haven't eaten them, I'd go ahead and plant them. You usually don't have to wait until summer. They will sprout now.

Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne,
The only problem I have is organic soil is not available during the winter.
I am glad the seeds are still good. I am planning to make an outside enclosure for Hermy this spring for the summer :D

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...The dandelions in Vermont look different from the ones here in Mississippi.
Patsy

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
ok, for everyone having soil problems, I thought I would offer an answer:

Bed-a-Beast.

Its just coconut husk, and you can plant live plants in your vivariums directly in it, so why not use it as potting soil? It might even be better...more nutritious to the plants even. On the brick I just bought for my snakes, it said it could be used for planting.

That's what I was going to do for my seedlings anyways...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The only problem with using Bed-a-beast for potting substrate is that I have found it "dies" rather quickly. It does lose it's nutrient quality. I have a mixed vivarium of species of amphibians and invertabrates that are indigenous to Michigan, and I use it in there. Every so often I have to enhance it, which I do by mixing in hay chaff or leaf litter. It works very well and the decomposition of the plant matter even produces a little warmth.

This has worked so well, in fact, that I have had the very rare occurance of my Slimy Salamanders producing a clutch of eggs :) I can't wait to see if they are fertile. Only one zoo that I know of has ever been able to produce a viable hatchling, wouldn't it be amazing if I was able to?

Kristina

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Gah! I think you should put up a brand new thread dedicated to the rest of your pets! Gwen and Ella are great, but I would love to hear about the others!

You've been holding out on me, (or us :p) lady!

And put up some pictures of that vivarium! I want to see them.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL, I have a problem :) My husband says I should go to AA meetings... Animalholics Anonymous :)

I do have some pics I can post, I will get around to that shortly. I'll put a thread in the "Other Photos" section :)

Kristina

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Meg
I already tried to plant some seeds in a pot with the eco earth and it did not work, I will try again but this time I will put the pot in Hermy's house (last time I had put it near a window).

Kristina,
I can't wait to see those pics :)

Status
Not open for further replies.