Seek advice for little star

Madelaine

5 Year Member
Hi,
My star use a lot of effort to defecate but failed on 24/3 (My star had bladder stone before and body weight is about 96 grams). Bring star to see vet. The vet use forceps to remove the bladder stone but only some stone fragments come out. Vet said that the stone is stick on the bladder wall very tightly. Therefore, some bleeding from the bladder wall. Stone is still in the bladder. Baytril is prescibed.

Star started to vomit for 2 times with mucous secretions on the same day. Screaming sound is produced during vomiting. It seems very painful. Next day, visit vet again with pain killer (Petcam) prescribed. Vet said that vomit is due to under anaesthesia.

Star have a lot of mucous secretions come out from the mouth, sometimes with food. I phone to clinic nurse to tell the vet on 24/3 but no reply till now.

Star refuse to eat. Force feeding is given for giving antibiotics with food together in the morning. Paraffin with food at night. Only 0.3 to 0.5 ml is given for each force feeding. Soak star three times daily with reptoboost.

Now, star still have mucous secretions come out from the mouth. Sometimes with indigested food. I found something wrong around his neck on Day 3 after procedure. Please see the attached photo. Please advise. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry your tortoise is going through this painful process. I don't know how to help you. The only thing I can say is to soak the tortoise daily in warm water for at least 30 minutes.

We've said here in the past that the care for star tortoises is similar to the care for leopard tortoises. Leopard tortoises are allergic to Baytril, so maybe your star is too???? I don't know. But maybe you can ask your vet for a different antibiotic?

Where are you injecting? If your using that portion of the neck, that's just edema. I would not inject in that location.

That's an awfully small tortoise to have bladder stones. What do you feed the tortoise?

Madelaine

5 Year Member
I'm sorry your tortoise is going through this painful process. I don't know how to help you. The only thing I can say is to soak the tortoise daily in warm water for at least 30 minutes.

We've said here in the past that the care for star tortoises is similar to the care for leopard tortoises. Leopard tortoises are allergic to Baytril, so maybe your star is too???? I don't know. But maybe you can ask your vet for a different antibiotic?

Where are you injecting? If your using that portion of the neck, that's just edema. I would not inject in that location.

That's an awfully small tortoise to have bladder stones. What do you feed the tortoise?

Hi Yvonne,
Thanks for your reply. I gave Baytril orally, not injection. Star took Baytril orally before (20 months ago) without any side effect.
I gave mazuri and supermarket vegetables before. Afterwards, i change the diet to Plantago asiatica and sudo tortoise food.