seeking advice on selling a pair of Egyptian torts

deville

5 Year Member
Hi, i have two (approximately) 5 year old male and female Egyptian tortoises and I am looking to sell them. However, of absolute utmost importance to me is that they are going to a home where they will be cared for properly. Outside of going by gut instinct, how does one sift through offers? I want to make sure that the new owners are responsible and qualified to care for the little guys and I don't want them ending up in a pet store or mixed in with other species. Any advice and/or experience shared is appreciated.

Thanks, D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well the only person I know that keeps them guys here is @tortadise . But your only problem here is you're a new member selling tortoises we don't know you . So I would get in the chat section or introduction section and let people get to know you . As for picking some one to sell your tortoises to . I would try selling to breeders or long time keepers . Ask to see the setups they have . Ask to see pictures of their tortoises now . That should make you fill better . But nothing is going to be 100%.

Rtill

10 Year Member!
Where are you located. Did you raise them up from hatchlings or did you acquire them as sub-adults. Are they siblings? Many questions to ask. Most breeders will want to know from whose stock they originated from.

deville

5 Year Member
Where are you located. Did you raise them up from hatchlings or did you acquire them as sub-adults. Are they siblings? Many questions to ask. Most breeders will want to know from whose stock they originated from.

Hi Rtill,

They were "left at my doorstep", so to speak. A colleague of mine had been keeping them for almost three years and asked if I could take care of them while he traveled. I've now had them for one and a half years. I've done my best to indentify their gender as male and female - i could be quite wrong. They seem healthy, the lady is feisty and hungry and the little gentleman abides by her wishes and sort of waits for her to finish eating first (she sits on the food bowl until she's done and then he can eat). I have a larger indoor run for them to give them time apart and a smaller 3' terrarium for their sleeping quarters.
I am quite attached to them but my work has my partner and I traveling a lot and I'm running out of friends who are willing to tortoise-sit them.
If you have more questions about their origins or health, photos etc, please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thanks! D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He D, and welcome to the Forum!

We have a 30/30 rule for new members - you must have either made 30 posts or have been a member for 30 days before you can avail yourself of the "for sale" section.

I know a breeder who may be interested in your tortoises. His username here on the Forum is Will.

deville

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne,

Thank you for your reply. I know it sounds a bit overdone but I'm not ready to sell my guys just yet, but I am seeking advice from members on HOW to sell them (mostly, how to find good new owners). I'm quite attached to them (I'm sure everyone on this forum can relate) and I want to ensure that I absolutely avoid any offers from people who may not have legitimate ownership intentions.
Ok, that's good to know about the 30/30 rule, i will keep that in mind when I'm comfortable selling them.
Thanks!
D

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
D,

Your best bet is probably to find someone already working with the species. There are a very good amount of people keeping Egyptians now and many are having breeding success at least on a small level. Several of us keep them on this forum some of us breed them (myself, Kelly, Annette, Andy, Bill, Gary, etc..). You really can't go wrong with any of the people keeping them on here and I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Chris

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would ask for pics of their enclosures, talk forawhile with them, phone calls. if it were me I would use a smart hone for real time comm. but that is just me. It depends on how far you want someone to satisfy you.

deville

5 Year Member
Hi
I would ask for pics of their enclosures, talk forawhile with them, phone calls. if it were me I would use a smart hone for real time comm. but that is just me. It depends on how far you want someone to satisfy you.

Hi tortophiles! Many thanks for the number of responses and pm's, I have a much better idea now. I will post again when I am ready to sell (i am in Toronto Canada) and get these two to a nice home. I will send pics of them when I get home (including their undersides).

Cheers,
D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have done lots of rescue work in the past, and had to ju,p through many hoops to satisfy someone, a sincere person will be willing to go a little extra. Good luck!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I wish I can have them. I desired for Egyptian tortoise for some time now and been study how to care for them. But that just my wishes. I need to start somewhere....Love to see some pictures of your specimens.