Seeking Russian Tortoise Enclosure Advice

Bartlebie

Location (City and/or State)
Helotes
So I live in a Rocky neighborhood in the suburbs of San Antonio. Our weather is fairly conducive to outside Russian habitats, so I've heard. I've been planning to build our Russian an outdoor enclosure, as we have a decent amount of land. The problem is that, due to the rocky foundation under only about an inch of top soil, its going to be very difficult to construct a habitat that is primarily fences. I'm worried he'll find an area where the rock is uneven and dig himself a way out. So after doing research here and elsewhere on the internet, I've designed this. Do you guys think it would work? What wouldn't work about it? Is there a reasonable way to do a no-floor enclosure in rocky terrain?

Attachments

• IMG_5355.jpg
    IMG_5355.jpg
    629.9 KB · Views: 20

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I live in a Rocky neighborhood in the suburbs of San Antonio. Our weather is fairly conducive to outside Russian habitats, so I've heard. I've been planning to build our Russian an outdoor enclosure, as we have a decent amount of land. The problem is that, due to the rocky foundation under only about an inch of top soil, its going to be very difficult to construct a habitat that is primarily fences. I'm worried he'll find an area where the rock is uneven and dig himself a way out. So after doing research here and elsewhere on the internet, I've designed this. Do you guys think it would work? What wouldn't work about it? Is there a reasonable way to do a no-floor enclosure in rocky terrain?
Something like that will be too hot in your climate, and it will be too small. I use cinder block to make their enclosures. Cap the corners with wood. You can line the inside edges with paving stones to print it from digging under the edges. Russias don't burrow like a DT or a sulcata. They just dig down into the dirt like a stingray or halibut does in sand.

I describe the shelter here in this thread:

Bartlebie

Helotes
Something like that will be too hot in your climate, and it will be too small. I use cinder block to make their enclosures. Cap the corners with wood. You can line the inside edges with paving stones to print it from digging under the edges. Russias don't burrow like a DT or a sulcata. They just dig down into the dirt like a stingray or halibut does in sand.

I describe the shelter here in this thread:
Tom, I've read your guide at least 3 times in the past. This is the single best piece of information I've ever found.
I didn't realize that box would get too hot. I was thinking, with the bottom, I could bring it inside during the winter. Really I think I need to read about the best way to handle him in the winter. I will consider the cinder block approach, and thanks for reminding me about your writeup.

Scrapping this enclosure for now and back tot he drawing board.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, I've read your guide at least 3 times in the past. This is the single best piece of information I've ever found.
I didn't realize that box would get too hot. I was thinking, with the bottom, I could bring it inside during the winter. Really I think I need to read about the best way to handle him in the winter. I will consider the cinder block approach, and thanks for reminding me about your writeup.

Scrapping this enclosure for now and back tot he drawing board.
Thank you. I'm glad my info is helping people!

You can also use plywood or 2x12s for the sides. Many ways to do it, but be sure to use something that is also a visual barrier.

Bartlebie

Helotes
So this is what we have been building him. We let him roam around in there a lot even though its not done yet (still under a watchful eye). I saw a lot of good information in the guide about indoor enclosures and substrate - but would you put outside? I've read stuff like mixing top soil and orchid bark works good, but obviously I'm here to make sure what I'm reading is true.

How do you supply power to your outdoor basking area?

Also, this is our first winter - Is there a preference of trying to hibernate the tortoise or not? We've got no experience hibernating reptiles.

1633893723363.png

Bartlebie

Helotes
Bumping this up, hoping for help on the three questions posted previously:
1. What substrate do I use for a large outdoor Russian enclosure? Is topsoil good enough?
2. This is our first winter - what do we consider when deciding to hibernate or not? Right now, leaning more towards not hibernating.
3. Is there a correct/safe way to create a basking spot in an outdoor enclosure? Power / light type, etc?