Seeking state information on tortoise-keeping... Where are tortoises not allowed to be kept as pets?

destortoise

Location (City and/or State)
VA and WA
Basically, I have tried to find a place that can tell me these things but... there are a lot of states. I want to find the laws for Washington, Oregon, California and Virginia. Does anyone know where I can find them?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Every state is different and it CAN be hard to find.
I first looked at our state's website for Wildlife and Fisheries, but what I found there was so complicated that it was no help. I phoned the local extension agent for Wildlife and Fisheries in our county, but couldn't get ahold of anyone who knew. But then I called the extension agent for Wildlife and Fisheries for the next county over, and he was a great help: a real gold mine of information! He has a PhD in one of the biological fields as well, which I thought was cool.
So my suggestion, if you're in the US, is to call your local state Wildlife and Fisheries (or the equivalent-) agent for your county. If they can't help, just keep trying the extension agents for other counties.
I hope this helps. :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The different state regulations usually only refer to animal that are native to that state. You can pretty much find all the info you need by doing a Google search. Something like, "California regulation on keeping tortoises". But if one of the above-mentioned states doesn't have any native tortoises, you probably will come up empty. I just did a search for Washington. Since there are no native tortoises in Washington, this was all I could find:

http://www.burkemuseum.org/herpetology/reptiles

Now, if your question really is, "Can I keep any kind of tortoise in CA, WA, etc?" Then you would get a totally different response to your query.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Kingsnake.com has a good section with links to the different regulations for each state.