Self hibernation????

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
I have a Russian tort I have never hibernated him before but it looks like he has done it himself this year. He stopped eating and become really lethargic and now he has buried himself in substrate and not come out for 3 days. Should I just leave him? His lights are still on a timer

Thanks

Shell

pennyw

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
north carolina
itsmeshell said:
I have a Russian tort I have never hibernated him before but it looks like he has done it himself this year. He stopped eating and become really lethargic and now he has buried himself in substrate and not come out for 3 days. Should I just leave him? His lights are still on a timer

Thanks

Shell

hi shell
i have 2 golden greeks the male did the same thing as yours is doing he finally came out and ate some greens now the female is doing the same thing .. i guess there fine this is my first winter with them maybe some one will come along and give us some advise. hang in there he will come to eat.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
If you are intending to overwinter (not brumate) your tort(s) I would suggest first off to double check your heat (temps) and your uv source (make sure your bulbs are not expired so that the tort is receiving appropriate uva/uvb exposure) also I would be sure to offer up a couple long warm water soaks per week to assure that they remain hydrated ....

If after you have confirmed your temps/uv rays are all good, then I would suspect a natural slow down---however, if you have chosen to not support brumation then please do keep your lights on/temps up and offer up food and warm water soaks....

Status
Not open for further replies.