Selling baby DT's on Craigslist (Irvine, CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, CA
So I came across this ad a couple of days ago. She is selling baby torts for $50. I replied, asking if they were sulcatas or DT's.
She replied back, say there are two available and confirmed they are baby Desert tortoises. Isn't this illegal? I got her phone # and contact info. I'd like to take them but i dont want to break the law.
here is the link.
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/1038875960.html

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is illegal to buy or sell our state reptile (the Calif. desert tortoise). I sent the Craig's list person an email.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I assume exchange of money of any kind is illegal right? She calls it 'adoption' fee..
I hope she does the right thing and turns them into rescue or gets and takes the right info to heart.
I understand breeding happen.. and eggs hatch.. but you arent supposed to do it on purpose right??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
I assume exchange of money of any kind is illegal right? She calls it 'adoption' fee..
I hope she does the right thing and turns them into rescue or gets and takes the right info to heart.
I understand breeding happen.. and eggs hatch.. but you arent supposed to do it on purpose right??

Yesterday when I emailed to her, her ad said she was charging $50 for them. She has since changed it to "adoption fee." If you charge a fee at all, it might be mis-construed as charging for the animal. So when I adopt out desert tortoises I won't even take a donation to the rescue. That's correct about the breeding. If you should happen to have a clutch of eggs laid, you are supposed to leave them alone and let nature take its course. You cannot artificially incubate them. The DFG frowns upon knowingly breeding desert tortoises in captivity.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
oh yeah buying too, i see it to much in craigslist, they are always for sale or adoption fee out on craigslist, $50 is actually less then most people, You can adopt one if you really want a DT though,

Status
Not open for further replies.