Selling hatchlings? Legal?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
if i want to buy one without CBW, can I ask the seller to send the tort to me as "gift", then wire the amount of money seller want and states as "gift" too?

This would not be legal in my estimation as the sender is receiving money for the tortoise.

Turtlepete

South Florida
This would not be legal in my estimation as the sender is receiving money for the tortoise.

Something I've always thought would be pretty funny, assuming your buying an ESA animal from someone you know that say lives across state lines. They send you the tort….and a box of flowers….and you pay them handsomely specifically for that box of flowers. Write a check that specifically says "for the beautiful roses". Haha. I don't think I would actually do this, but technically it wouldn't be breaking the law. They wouldn't be receiving money for the tortoise, just the flowers, haha.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Something I've always thought would be pretty funny, assuming your buying an ESA animal from someone you know that say lives across state lines. They send you the tort….and a box of flowers….and you pay them handsomely specifically for that box of flowers. Write a check that specifically says "for the beautiful roses". Haha. I don't think I would actually do this, but technically it wouldn't be breaking the law. They wouldn't be receiving money for the tortoise, just the flowers, haha.

Sounds like a great plan. You go first! :D

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
The thing I find most idiotic about the four inch law is that it encourages large chains like Petco and Petsmart to sell wild caught animals. They should simply disallow chain stores from selling turtles and tortoises completely, allowing only private breeders and mom and pop companies to sell their animals.

T.G.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The thing I find most idiotic about the four inch law is that it encourages large chains like Petco and Petsmart to sell wild caught animals. They should simply disallow chain stores from selling turtles and tortoises completely, allowing only private breeders and mom and pop companies to sell their animals.

T.G.

The thing I find most idiotic about it is that it protects no one from anything. Just another example of government oppression of the population. Don't think its oppressive? Talk to Pete from Waterland tubs.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The 4" law was I acted to stop young children from placing red ear sliders in their mouths. The logic being this size prohibits this from happening thereby stopping salmonella poisoning. The fun part is the study used for this finding indicated that far more children were poisoned by drinking the turtles water!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The 4" law was I acted to stop young children from placing red ear sliders in their mouths. The logic being this size prohibits this from happening thereby stopping salmonella poisoning. The fun part is the study used for this finding indicated that far more children were poisoned by drinking the turtles water!

If a kid is going to put its mouth on a little turtle, why wouldn't the same unsupervised kid put its mouth on a 4" turtle. It has been demonstrated in decades of attempts to modify or eliminate this rule that the Government types do not care if it does or ever did make any sense. They were able to sneak it in under ridiculous false pretenses and now that they have this freedom taken away, they are not going to give it back. Instead they will keep taking additional freedoms until we collectively decide that we've had enough, as has happened in our history before.

turtlemanfla88

Hey guys in FLA we have a class 3 which allows you to sell turtles or tortoises. Also, you can get an aquaculture license which only covers turtles not tortoises. I hope one day we can get rid of the 4" law and put the accountability back on the parent or guardian who is buying the animal. If you get a chance go to myfla.com and go to wildlife commission and they are really good about breaking everything down. Now get this class 3 falls under FWC while aquaculture falls under department of Ag. I hope one day it all can fall under dept of ag.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys in FLA we have a class 3 which allows you to sell turtles or tortoises. Also, you can get an aquaculture license which only covers turtles not tortoises. I hope one day we can get rid of the 4" law and put the accountability back on the parent or guardian who is buying the animal. If you get a chance go to myfla.com and go to wildlife commission and they are really good about breaking everything down. Now get this class 3 falls under FWC while aquaculture falls under department of Ag. I hope one day it all can fall under dept of ag.

You need a state license to sell a turtle or tortoise in FL? I didn't know that. How does that relate to the 4" federal law?

Turtlepete

South Florida
Tom, you need a Class 3 personal pet permit. I have one to sell red foots. I still sell them under 4" though.

turtlemanfla88

Hey guys in FLA a group pushed the state to make strict laws on our natives. For example only ornate and desert box turtles are legal to sell. I asked a FWC officer once at one of the reptile shows I have a question for you that we can not sell any captive born native box turtles babies so, how did all of these breeder FLA box turtles that are producing all of these hatchlings get to all of these other states. His answer was I don't know. I wanted to say it hell of a long walk for these turtles to get there. I just picked up the new 2014-2015 FLA hunting regulations on page 28 it talks about turtles. Taking cooters, Escambia map turtles and snapping turtles from the wild is prohibited because of their similarity to Suwannee cooters, Barbour's turtles and alligator snapping turtle,respectively. The truth is I saw it with my own eyes and know others who had FWC think common snappers and FLA snappers hatchlings were alligator snappers. I bet very few if any could pass a turtle ID picture test. IT is sad, rumor has it this so called turtle group wants to have the state shut down all native turtles captive born babies does not matter. That means my spotteds would be outlaws because I know where there is suppose to be a native spotted turtle population. They are listed as a FLA native in many books. Also, they do not want to fully protect them because then they could not get grants to study them.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
I honestly don't think the ban on selling hatchlings was part of the beginning of a government conspiracy to take away the rest of our rights. Instead it grew out of the the the trend in modern parenting to protect kids from everything that might in anyway be deemed dangerous and as a result 'protect' kids from lots of interesting experiences.

Parents hearing tales of salmonella from baby RES's and the spotlight on some unsavory turtle husbandry in the 70's, ie., the use of town sewer ponds and feeding offal just cast into these ponds set things up. So it was a public health effort, but like so many other regulations, inflexible and not really tackling the problem.

Unfortunately it is very true that it's a lot harder to undo or revise such regulations once they're in place.