Semi-Introduction, and My Story

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
Hello Everybody!

As the title mentions this is an introduction, sort of. More of a re-introduction actually haha. Some of you may remember me from a few years back, but from what I can tell there seems to be a bunch of new members and the forum is booming which is fantastic!

For those of you who don't know me, my name is John, I'm in Northwest, Florida; and my primary tortoise experience is with redfoot, yellowfoot, and cherryhead tortoises. For those of you who do remember me I very much look forward to reconnecting with you and getting updated on what has happened the last few years. Needless to say I have ALOT of catching up to do!

So what happened? Great question!

I became very active in tortoise care and husbandry as a kid and it only grew. TFO was a fantastic discovery for me years ago and I was literally a kid in a candy store (I still am to some extent!) and I became pretty active here. It has now been 10 years since I bought my first tortoise and soon after began breeding them. However, I knew that would change somewhat as I got older. This is the part where I kind of disappeared. Life happened! Most of my years of tortoise keeping occurred while I was in middle school and high school which worked out great for me. But you guessed it, college happened. Now, a fiance, two degrees, and a job later life is a little less hectic and I can continue to pour more time into my tortoises.

If by chance my story has captivated you enough to continue to read to this point, you are probably wondering what exactly happened to my tortoises while I "disappeared" from the tortoise world for a couple of years?! I'm glad you asked. I was busy, but not so busy that I couldn't still care for them. Most of them are still in my care while some I was forced to sell unfortunately. But I still have my favorites like my big male redfoot, Crazy Eyes, and his girl, Big Bertha. It was thoroughly enjoyable to have them breed while in my care and to be able to sell some of the hatchlings to fellow TFO members. If you purchased a hatchling from me, I would absolutely LOVE to see what they look like today! While I did still have my tortoises I simply did not have as much time to breed them so I chose to keep the males and females separated for most of the year. However, the herd is back together again.

I very much look forward to being more active on this forum and sharing my tortoises and enclosures with all of you. Anyway, that's where I've been if anyone was wondering haha.

Thanks for reading!
John

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome back. Glad you kept your passion around even though you had to slow it down for a while. Life does take many turns. Look forward to seeing your pics.

k3ndrea

5 Year Member
Dingmans Ferry, Pa
I bought him form you in 2012 he randomly passed away last spring I am devastated and looking for a new one

Screenshot_20190109-113533_Photos.jpg

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
You've been with the Forum much longer than I have, but welcome back anyway! I live a little east of the capital city (opposite side from @Bunny2746). I have a juvenile Gulf Coast box turtle (indoors for now, until we can build her a proper predator-proof enclosure outside). And a couple hatchling mud turtles. No tortoises... YET. ;)