Senior cat meowing and yowling

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Thanks for the update! It takes some time. I still miss my very first cat...and she's been gone almost 20 years. She was 'my' cat. Slept with me (on my hip) every night. Since my husband travels with work, I'm pretty sure I slept more with the cat...

If and when you're up for a new kitten - it will be a lucky one! :D

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Thank you for checking in and giving us an update on how you and your family are doing. I hope your household will provide care and love to another addition when the time is right.

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
Years ago I had a 17 year old cat that started urinating everywhere but the kitty pot Out of character for him After watching one day I figured out that he had had a stroke He acted the same accept every once in a while he would stumble Had to send him on to kitty heaven I asked the vet once why cats always seem to start howling and looking confused when they get old Her reply was that as they get older their thyroid gets out of balance I've got 12 cats from 5 years to 20 years old and thank goodness only one,a 15 year old, is a howler Sorry for your loss I hate to loss them but I always view it as an opening to love another

mildydolly

Singapore
My condolences. Losing a pet cat is extremely hard. I used to talk to one of my late cats a lot. She understood me. The truth is you and I could understand what our cats are trying to say if we only listened and interpreted. And both are quite easy to do. If any cat owner out there is interested in communicating with their cat and bond with her feline friend as if she was a human child, do have a look at this.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thanks guys. The results were ready in 20 min. She has high bacteria counts in her urine, and kidney function is off. I haven't seen the report myself yet. Will get all that in am. I had to leave her at the hospital for IV antibiotics (2 different ones) and IV fluids. Really didn't want to leave her in strange place but she just looked so sick, and the vet seemed determined they had good chance to nip this thing with aggressive treatment. I had to apply for Care Credit, my vet bill will be astronomical but I saw no other options. My kitty girl was in distress, I had to get help for her. Btw, for the first time ever I had to sign a DNR order on a cat!!! DNR stands for Do Not Resuscitate. I am to pick her up at 6:30 and take her with her IV fluids to our family vet for follow up care. Guess I could have asked for more conservative care at home, but that would amount to nothing (she's always been impossible to give oral meds to) and watch her die horrible tormentuos death... Next door to our room someone was having their dog put down... Oh, the cries of that poor man! ... I just couldn't do that. Plus the vet felt this was an acute treatable illness... I'll post in am & let you guys know. Thanks for reading this thread and for your support
Buster was our 24 lb Maine Coon, long hair cat who was about 11. He stopped pooping & eating all of a sudden. We knew something was wrong. Took him in & his kidneys had completely shut down. They kept him for 3 nights, but weren't too hopeful that the meds & water were going to keep him going. So after a couple of nights at home we could tell he was getting worse & we had the vet put him down because he was suffering.

That cat's favorite thing to do & to yowl about was eating. If you got up to pee at 4 am he was right there, yowling to be fed. It was hard to sleep past 7:30a. But we miss him.

So yowling at night--yes, but it was all about getting more food from when we got him at 2 yrs old until he stopped eating a few weeks ago. So I commiserate with you because you just don't want your animals to suffer.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Well Singapore, you dodged a bullet of teasing for a "Rookie Mistake" of responding to a 5 year old thread because JAN A, a "well-known" member gets to take the teasing for you!!

That is funny Jan..........we all do it, most of the time we catch ourselves B4 we hit "send".....most of the time.

LOL