Septicemia ??? Please help !!

katie333

5 Year Member
I've had my oldest turtle for a year fairly new at this , he/she is a yellow belly slider . Today took Charlie out of the tank after a while and examined, I noticed some light pink patches, automatically googled septicemia. It's I'd not spotty, just around his back legs it looks light pink ! Will post pics for further advice please help!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
Need pics for sure as well as some sort of history. Age? Living conditions-water-lighting-temps etc? Eating regularly and what are you feeding? Ultimately if it is Septicemia you must get it to a vet. There is no home treatment for being septic.

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Yea, pics to confirm septicemia. And like stated you need a vet asap. Even with a vet survival is not assured. Thats how serious it is.

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Yea, pics to confirm septicemia. And like stated you need a vet asap. Even with a vet survival is not assured. Thats how serious it is.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Wait a minute though guys. A septic turtle will ALWAYS appear very sick. Turtles often times have a bit of pink coloration on them.

If your turtle is acting very, very lethargic, then I'd say the possibility of septicemia is strong and the turtle should be brought to a vet asap. However, if your turtle is acting in its usual fashion, there is almost no way it is septic.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Anthony P said:
Wait a minute though guys. A septic turtle will ALWAYS appear very sick. Turtles often times have a bit of pink coloration on them.

If your turtle is acting very, very lethargic, then I'd say the possibility of septicemia is strong and the turtle should be brought to a vet asap. However, if your turtle is acting in its usual fashion, there is almost no way it is septic.

This is exactly why we are asking for more information. Unless there is a root cause for being septic it is extremely unlikely that is the case. A young turtle/tortoise may have a blush from lots of new growth. But an adult is less likely to do so as their growth slows way down. Many this time of year being to act strangely and sluggish as they prepare to brumate, so behavior is not always the best indicator right now. Which is why my inquiry was about other living conditions. Septicemia is not something that just suddenly appears one day. There is always a root condition causing the infection. That has to be addressed as well for the turtle to have any real chance at survival.

katie333

5 Year Member
Hello everyone sorry took so long thank you all for responses ! The pink color on skin seems to be subsiding here are pics of set up and Charlie ! :ImageUploadedByTortForum1381883281.657047.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381883296.132855.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381883329.225670.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381883347.763338.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381883368.599793.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381883385.149535.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381883397.708367.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1381883412.002795.jpg

The pink color that I noticed is under the plastron on thighs. I have both a UVB and UVA light, hob filter heater set to 78 . Feed them every other day some reptomin pellets, leafy greens, fruits, veggies, steamed turkey, and once a month live minnows

Diamondbacks4Life said:

Posted pics

kanalomele said:
Anthony P said:

This is exactly why we are asking for more information. Unless there is a root cause for being septic it is extremely unlikely that is the case. A young turtle/tortoise may have a blush from lots of new growth. But an adult is less likely to do so as their growth slows way down. Many this time of year being to act strangely and sluggish as they prepare to brumate, so behavior is not always the best indicator right now. Which is why my inquiry was about other living conditions. Septicemia is not something that just suddenly appears one day. There is always a root condition causing the infection. That has to be addressed as well for the turtle to have any real chance at survival.

Pics posted

Anthony P said:

Pics posted

ascott said:
Clear pics will absolutely be necessary to offer any information/help/opinions.

Pics posted

Also both Charlie and Sammy are eating regularly with no change in behavior

Last edited by a moderator:

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Your turtle looks good to me, i dont even see any red. As septicemia gets worse the red gets brighter and red dots appear all over eventually. I can safely say your fine.