Serious Question???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
iowa
I was watching my Russians today and noticed that one had what seems to be a runny nose. i first noticed because he blew a bubble. I need your help What should i do?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
What are the temps in your cage? Warm side? Cool side? Basking area?

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
i dont know the exact temperature so i would say its a little on the warm side because i do use a heat lamp and it stays pretty warm. i do have a basking area and the torts use it allot.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
How can you have a basking area if you dont use a heat lamp? You need to know these temps, they are VERY important. You need to raise the temps a bit for the one with the runny nose and if that doesnt clear it up he will need to see a Veterinarian that is familiar with tortoise medicine.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I also just noticed in your picture thread that they are in a glass tank. This is not recommended. You cannot regulate a thermal temperature gradient sufficiently in a glass tank. If you cant get them a tortoise table (google the words) then please use an open top rubbermaid container with plenty of floor space. We can all submit pics of our enclosures so that you can get an idea of what I am talking about if you would like. (please see cvaldas post regarding her Russian enclosures)

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Making a wooden enclosure is soooo easy... I'm making a small "honeymoon sweet" for when I introduce one of the soon-to-be pair, and I went to the big hardward store (Menards), got some plywood measuring 2x4 feet and some utility wood from their cheapo section for the sides (12 inches high), and just nailed 'em together. Then I'll throw in a liner and voila! And the total cost for all of that, plus some nails and a hammer, was $24! I'll set it up on some wood blocks to get it up off the floor a few inches, but it needn't be set on legs or anything fancy like that. I'll post new pics when I'm done with this one, too!

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
if you feed wet food, or bath them where their noses go underwater, it could just be that.

but also in another thread your whole husbandry is wrong.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
I do have them in an open enclosure i just had them in the glass tank when i brought them home. I also have a heat lamp and a basking lamp. i keep the heat lamp on at night to keep the temp. steady.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The reason for saying you need to find out the actual temps is because not all heat lamps will produce the same heat. It depends on the wattage, they type of bulb and it's holder, how close to the substrate you keep it, and even things like room temp and substrate used can cause fluctuations (sp?) in temps.

Your saying it's pretty warm and that's a start. Thing is, we each think of warm often in different ways. Having an accurate, readable measuring device makes it clear for everyone to see where it's at.

Anja is afraid your animal may be getting a respiratory infection and is wanting to stop it in it's tracks before it becomes serious. TJ gave you a couple of other thoughts as to what might be going on.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Wayne.bob,
Is your tortoise eating OK? Is it active? I am not an expert especially with Russians however I do highly recommend you get a thermometer and Hygrometer and make sure what the temps and humidity are throughout your torts habitat. Under heat lamp should be about 90 to 95. Other areas about 70 or so. Check with
http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/russiantortoises.htm
http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/turtles/russian-tortoise.php
http://www.calzoo.com/html/russiantortoises.html
Remember humidity can also be a factor. as can substrate as they can hold moisture or be very very drying. Watch your tort closely. If it does not have any more problems and your temps and humidity is good it may have been as T-P stated or if it continues I would certainly check with a reptile vet. Upper Respiratory Infections can claim the life of a tort and we all know you want to do what is best for your shelled friend.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
yes my tortoise is eating ok and is very active. i hope its not respitory infection. thanks everyone for your input i will do whatever i can to help my torts.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
ok runny nose is gone maybe i was just being paranoid.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
ya i know, im glad its gone. but i think it was better that i was paranoid and asked, rather than leaving it alone and my tort having a problem

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Glad hes ok. But don't hesitate to ask those questions thats what we are all here for the support of each other and our shelled friends.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
thanks for all your support.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wayne.bob said:
thanks for all your support.

That's why this site is here and why all of us are here too. We all need support at one time or another, just as all of us can find something to learn from each other.

Just so very glad it was a false alarm. Nice to know that you were observant enough to have saw it and wise enough to ask about it.

drummerkid1993

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
these are the symptoms of runny nose sydrome so you should contact your vet

Status
Not open for further replies.