Set my quit date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
So I finally decided to give up my cigarettes AGAIN, this time for the last time. My doctor was pretty persuasive and to be honest I'm over it. Called the tobacco free Florida hotline, set up with a counselor, made a plan. I'm feeling pretty confident this time around, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions that helped them quit for good. I'm usually fine for about 3-6 months but always start again. Hopefully this time is different. Maybe one of you has the magic answer to my problem!

Here's to trying! Gotta get old to see my tortoises get big :D

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
Eat sunflower seeds. Always have them with you. When you "need" a smoke, throw a handful of seeds in there. That helped me fight the urge. One other thing is you probably have times where it's natural at this point to have a smoke. Probably after eating, riding in the car (that was my Achilles's heel and why sunflower seeds worked so well for me), or breaks at work. I had to find something to do to replace smoking at those times. The eating one is probably the toughest, though. I struggled with that for a long time. One day I finally got sick of coughing up black crap after contemplating quitting and starting to implement the seeds, and threw a full pack minus probably 3 smokes out the window of my car. I didn't let my self buy a pack from there and went cold turkey for a really long time. Now I don't need smokes to get through the day. I like to say I'm a social smoker now because for some reason cigarettes are like candy when you're drinking, and that's the only time I'll smoke. Here and there I'll feel like a smoke and maybe bum one off of somebody, but I never buy a pack. I believe anything is OK in moderation as long as it's not something along the lines of hard drugs or what not.

The biggest thing for me was breaking the normal times I'd have a smoke

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks! I do keep sunflower seeds at the house so I can grab some. Luckily I've done "mini quits" up to this point. No smoking in the car, no smoking an hour after a meal, waiting an hour or two before smoking my first cigarette of the day. No one I live with smokes, and I don't drink, my problem is the stress cigarettes! It's so much easier to just go outside and tend to my tortoises and smoke for ten minutes and have my time out rather than deal with whatever frustrated me in the first place lol.

So after you threw your cigarettes out the window, how long did it take you to fully stop craving?

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
To be honest with you, it's still a battle sometimes. Not every day or probably not even weekly, but sometimes I find myself thinking how bad I want to smoke. I quit in march of '11. I've just come to terms with that it's probably going to always be there and is something that I'll live with. Temptation is a hell of mistress. Right of out the gate though, I'd say that it probably took a month or two after breaking my habits of the situational smoke that the daily cravings went away. We all have triggers that prompt us to do things, good or bad, and I think once you can figure out what yours are, in terms of smoking, it makes it a lot easier to ignore the cravings and overcoome that need for cigarettes. I'm extremely analytical with everything I do and I believe everything a person does has a root cause. Once root causes are exposed, problems become more solvable. With all that said, I'm no psychologist by any means. I'm just fascinated with the brain, people, and why we do what we do. I like to share on stuff like this because certain topics pertain to my own personal experiences and how I've dealt with them. I'm gonna stop rambling on now :)

I lied about my ramblings. :/

Train of thought and state of mind are huge, too. Don't think you hope this is the last time you quit, make yourself convinced you are done. Every time you want one, make yourself think of all the bad things that smoking encompasses. All it is is an outlet for something. Find a different outlet. Reading, writing, running, biking, something of that sort. If you think you are a stress smoker, make yourself a stress runner or something. Doesn't have to be that but I think you'll get my point.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
You gave me a great idea. I'm learning how to ride a bike. Also I guess I'll start doing yoga outside too. Give me a different association with outside time other than nicotine.

Thanks :) and your rambling is appreciated. I'll make sure to reread it when the time comes. And you're right. This IS the last time I quit. There's nothing stopping me but myself.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I smoke and have for about 38yrs but I wish you luck (and god bless you with the will to quit) good luck

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
"There's nothing stopping me but myself." I find this is true with most things in life :) Don't be afraid to find me if you need support :)

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
Find your chi and don't let it go. It's definitely not in cigarettes. Mines writing music and secluded myself from the outside world. (I'm really introverted haha)

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Drink extra water, for cleansing purposes.
After meals take a walk or something as this is when I had cravings. I smoked 3 packs a day and quit 17 years ago.
For me it got easier and easier.

I would not chew the nicorette gum or use any device that is giving you the drug, " nicotine".

Good luck to you!

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks guys! I don't plan on using any nicotine aids, that's not quitting, just substituting lol. I did purchase one of the vapor only, tar/tobacco/nicotine free electronic cigarettes. I don't think I'm going to use it much though once it runs out. Did anyone have luck with Ecigarettes? (Not that I'm looking for an easy way out!)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a couple family member that uses the ecigs. Has helped them a lot. Helps with the angry moods too. Don't hesitate using it, if you need too, better then the real thing and I am a smoker. Just not my time yet. Good luck. If you feel like you need encouragement, make a new thread asking for it and there's a bunch of us that will give it.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Today is actually 4 months since my last cig, I had smoked for years and "quit" a few times, It is difficult, but you have to be sure you are quitting, if your'e not sure you actually want to you won't be successful. I used an E-Hooka to help at first, but I only used it for the sensation of having a smoke, the brand I used was called Smooth and they are just flavored water vapor. Something that I didn't end up doing but has worked for some of my friends, smoke all you need to tomorrow but ash every one of the cigs into the same cup filled about 1/2 with water, the next day drink it instead of your first cig, the taste is so gross you wont be able to finish or look at another cig the same again. I couldn't do it but a few of my friends were successful lol.

You can do it, not hacking up black crap and being able to breath easily is a wonderful thing.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You do not need counselors, hotlines or anyone else. No gum, no patches. Just quit. Hoping doesn't work either. What does work is lung cancer, so if you wait long enough...

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did. I tried over and over and over. Sounds like you have too. You really really have to be 'there' to succeed. Changing your habits associated with smoking is a must. The psychological attachment was the worst for me.
After passing the 3 week mark (which I never made it to prior) was when I knew I could do this. I was SO ecstatic, nothing could make me pick up a cigarette from that point on. I absolutely abhorred my enslavement to the habit.
For several years I did have cravings. But at the same time, I would have nightmares that I started smoking again. I would wake up with that dread, totally unglued feeling that took a while to recover from! I never ever wanted to be addicted like that again.

Ann from CT

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I still take "Smoke breaks" at work, however instead of sitting down smoking I walk a lap around the block, takes the same amount of time and I still got to go outside for a quick break.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
yagyujubei said:
You do not need counselors, hotlines or anyone else. No gum, no patches. Just quit. Hoping doesn't work either. What does work is lung cancer, so if you wait long enough...

Yes, lung cancer is real. Yes, lung cancer is scary. However waiting until one has lung cancer is not a productive means of quitting. By your account, quitting isn't even hard, especially if you're already sick. I already had cancer, and had it removed. It is my wake up call. Not being able to do the things I want, being sick, and feeling like a burden on my family is not a quality I am proud of. But, the counselor will help me get back on track and on the road to quitting. It's a free service and why not try it? Have you ever been addicted to something? It is hard for people who haven't to sympathize. I started this thread to get ideas, view points, and all around support from others who have gone through this, not to mention perhaps motivate others who want to take the steps to quit.

Thank you so much to those who shared their point of view and suggestions that I will definitely try. By September 4th I am to be completely nicotine free. No gums, patches, or accessories. I've signed back up for yoga three times a week, and start school again next Monday. Between that and work I should be using up all my smoke time, and filled it with healthier ways of stress management. I also purchased more sunflower seeds, and my favorite pumpkin seeds will be in season in a few weeks. I have never been this motivated to let go of my crutch, and glad so many of you are supportive people :) I was hesitant to post this thread, but definitely glad I did.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
They are not for everybody, but I used an e-cig. Not the cheap nasty ones you buy at 7-eleven but the nice ones you buy at vapor stores. I use DFWVapor. Look them up, they do a brisk online business. I did not intend to quit but to find a way to smoke inside in the brutal Texas heat. The result was that I did quit and even gave up the e-cig. Next month will be a year!

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I did purchase an electronic hookah that is pretty great. The smoke shop I went to actually breeds sulcatas too lol. Hopefully if I go back to purchase another permanent one (just vapor, no nicotine) I can talk with the owner about husbandry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.